|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Faculty Position: Open Invitation - Dongguk University Gyeongju Campu
Posted By: Dongguk University <[email protected]>
Date: Thursday, 18 January 2018, at 9:54 a.m.
Faculty Position : Open Invitation
The PARAMITA College at Dongguk University in Gyeongju is hiring full-time English instructors for March 1, 2018 to February 28, 2019. This is a non-tenure track full time position, and contracts will be renewed every year based on class evaluations. We are looking for dedicated teachers who are interested in professional development and working with teams of teachers. We strive to maintain a collaborative work environment where materials, resources and ideas are shared.
BEFORE YOU APPLY, PLEASE CHECK THE FOLLOWING:
Only apply if you are in Korea. We are not considering applicants who are in another country.
Please make sure that you include all of the documents we have listed in your application packet.
If there are no documents for headings (Career, Degree, Etc.) the headings will not be considered.
Please include your visa expiration date, and type of visa you have. We will only hire people who have E-2 or F visas which allow for work in schools)
We want to hire people who have a master’s degreeand 4years teaching experience or more.
1. Background : Dongguk is a Buddhist University located in the ancient Shilla capital of Gyeong-ju, a city of about 300,000 people. Gyeongju is renowned for its cultural and historic heritage, as well as for its abundant outdoor recreation activities. It is conveniently located within an hour of Daegu, Busan, Ulsan, and Pohang, and it is also a 35-minute drive from the East Sea.
2. Responsibilities : The PARAMITA faculty is primarily responsible for a four-semester program comprised of mandatory English conversation courses. We also have writing courses for pre-intermediate and intermediate learners. Faculty members are additionally responsible for holding office hours and teaching certain classes during vacation time. Opportunities for additional classes are available. Teachers are paid overtime for all extra work.
In addition to credit classes we need people to work in our International Lounge. Lounge programs run parallel to our regular courses, but are not taught for credit, and are open to all of our students. Teachers will be expected to prepare communicative activities specific to various learner levels.
All teachers belong to teams according to the courses they teach. Each team has a leader who is responsible for basic curricular decisions and maintaining course consistency. Team objectives are standardized and all teachers use standardized rubrics to evaluate student output. Teachers must attend at least two team meetings per level a semester (as well as department workshops).
3. Contract Details :
- 12 hours/credit course, 1 additional program, 2 hours office hours—and a minimum of 4 days/week.
- Starting salary is 2.65 million won for holders of master’s degrees. 2.8 million won for holders of Ph.D degrees. Taxes are deducted based on Korean Tax Law.
- Two months paid vacation a year (during the University vacation period).
- Office space with a personal computer is provided.
- Overtime rate is 22,000 won/hour for credit courses in accordance with the payment system employed by the university.
- Health insurance plan, based on National Health.
- The corporate pension plan is based upon the Private University Pension Law. There is no end of year severance pay.
- Housing is simply included in instructors’ salary, and there is no set apartment complex provided for teaching faculty. (The cost of living is quite reasonable in Gyeongju.)
- Instructors are given opportunities to join with coworkers to work on curricular goals, various material design, audio-visual and other resource development.
4. Qualifications : Holders of relevant graduate as well as education degrees are given preference. TESOL, CELTA or RSA certification is an asset.
A minimum Master degree is required. We are only giving interviews to persons presently residing in Korea, and who can attend in-person interviews. We won’t be holding phone interviews. No exceptions.
Please be mindful of changes in immigration policy (criminal background check and diploma authentication) and how that affects your visa status when you change jobs.
5. Required Documents (PLEASE INCLUDE EVERYTHING):
- A cover letter attached with all contact information
- Your resume(attached form)
- Two letters of reference: signed and on letterhead (or stamped) with contact number.
- Copies/Scans of a passport with nationality and date of birth visible
- Copies/Scans of university transcripts, and diploma(s)
- Copy of your Alien Registration Card (make sure your visa status is visible, double side)
- Certificate of Career and Employment
- Omission of any docs listed above will cause applicant disqualification.
6. Application period:
We will accept applications through January 5th(Friday), 2018.
Your interview will begin with a lesson demonstration. You will have ten-twelve minutes to discuss your activity with us. You may choose show how you move though a communicative lesson:
Have a target level in mind.
Demonstrate how you carry out a specific communicative target. Demonstrate an objective and what you want students to be able to do, and how you facilitate the process of helping students notice facets of the language and/or conversation flow.
For example, you might discuss the process of follow up reactions/responses/questions in any given tense; dynamics of conversation flow as it relates to a particular theme; giving opinions using comparative adjective phrases with explanation—the possibilities are limitless.
You may show how you establish a relationship between form and function. However, you need not go into detail about grammatical minutia.
You may choose a writing based activity—something you enjoy:
You might focus on a particular aspect of writing: solid paragraph construction; common errors; reasons and supporting details; using facts; etc.
You might also choose to explore a particular essay or genre of writing and basic steps and process taken to complete an assignment.
Please keep in mind:
We will have a question and answer session.
Please specify when you apply when you might be able to come for an interview. (Interview will be scheduled on January 10th(Wednesday), 2018)
8. How to Apply:
To apply via email attach all appropriate docs and send to the following contacts: [email protected]
Candidates being considered for position will be later asked to submit sealed official transcripts along with an original diploma.
Please send any additional questions and concerns to:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please do not include personal tutor experience.
Official transcripts will be required after you are accepted.
Number of hours in training courses (CELTA, TESOL…) should be provided.
|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Dave's ESL Cafe Korean Job Board is maintained by Dave Sperling with WebBBS 4.33.