|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Korea Defense Language Institute (KDLI) Seeks English Instructors in Icheon
Posted By: Korea Defense Language Institute <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, 6 November 2017, at 11:21 a.m.
Korea Defense Language Institute is a language education and research division within the Joint Forces Military University, the intellectual center of the Republic of Korea Armed Forces. KDLI strives to enable the Korean military to adapt to the changing global environment via communication skills, creativity, and critical thinking.
The KDLI faculty is made up of professionals from around the world. They engage students in language immersion and devote themselves to developing effective teaching methods. The institute teaches career military personnel, both commissioned and non-commissioned officers, various foreign languages including: English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, German, and Arabic. KDLI is also committed to teaching the Korean language to foreign servicemen from approximately twenty five countries at a time.
The English Department consists of courses spanning two to six months. Our classes are designed to help ROK Armed Forces work with their counterparts during joint or combined operations. Additionally, we prepare military personnel for missions such as training abroad and overseas dispatch. Since the students are highly motivated and of excellent caliber, we seek committed, well-mannered candidates capable of providing a top-notch English education.
1. Applicants of non-Korean nationality must have a bachelorís degree from a four-year university in an English-speaking country; or a bachelor's degree in the English Language from a country where English is the official second language.
2. Applicants of Korean nationality must have a master's degree or higher and at least six years of residence experience in a country where English is the mother tongue.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Plan, organize, and provide instruction in English that meet KDLI standards.
2. Provide instruction that is consistent and coordinated with the KDLI instructional program so as to ensure that students meet and exceed learning targets.
3. Develop and deliver lesson plans that utilize a broad range of appropriate teaching techniques and strategies.
4. Address all aspects of communication through appropriate instruction that develops each studentís ability to read, write, speak, and listen in the appropriate content area.
5. Administer academic and language assessments for the purpose of evaluating student progress for meeting academic learning targets and progress in language acquisition.
6. Maintain complete and accurate records of student progress and evidence of growth and progress.
7. Adapt curriculum to provide individual, small group, and/or remedial instruction as to meet the needs of individual students and subgroups of students.
8. Establish and maintain standards of student behavior required to run an orderly and productive classroom environment.
9. Employ a variety of instructional techniques and strategies to meet different aptitudes and interests of students.
10. Manage allotted learning time to maximize student achievement.
11. Oversee assigned out-of-classroom activities during the school day, as needed.
Preference is given to applicants with:
1. experience in the military or military-related institutions, and
2. a certificate in English language teaching such as TESOL, TEFL, or CELTA,
3. a master's degree or higher in the relevant field (for Korean applicants, a doctorate degree in the English language),
4. more than three years of teaching experience,
5. experience teaching English pronunciation,
6. experience in evaluating English proficiency exams,
7. records of published articles related to English and/or teaching in academic journals.
1. Instructors are paid 35,000 won per teaching hour. If an instructor is selected as an outstanding instructor or the most outstanding instructor, a higher pay rate is applied. Instructors usually teach 4 hours a day, 5 times a week on an average week.
2. A dormitory, or an apartment within Korea Defense Language Institute is provided.
3. In their first year, instructors may take six days of paid leave. From the second year and on, the number of paid leave days gets adjusted according to their class hours the previous year.
4. If there are no classes, instructors do not have to come to work. There may be a month-long break between programs.
5. National pension and national health insurance.
6. Free access to a fitness center and sauna in the school.
How to Apply:
1. To apply, please fill out the application form at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/mveCF1XwYA2s8tuf2
2. AND email your passport photograph and at least one signed letter of recommendation with contact information to [email protected].
Please title your subject line in the following format: [Last name] Phone Number. For example, if you are John Doe, and your phone number is (010) 9876-5432, your e-mail subject line should read:
[Doe] (010) 9876-5432.
* You will be asked to bring your Alien Registration Card (ARC) for interview. You must also have the required paperwork (criminal background check, health check) prepared on hire.
Timeline (All dates are subject to change):
1. Notify candidates selected for interview: Nov. 27th, 2017
2. On-site interview (mandatory): Dec. 11th, 2017
a. Please prepare a 5-minute demo lesson for an intermediate English class.
3. Result announcement: Dec. 18th, 2017
4. On-the-job training start dates: Dec. 26th, 2017
5. Expected start date: Jan. 8th, 2018
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to email us at:
LTJG Jin Kun Bae
Korea Defense Language Institute
Joint Forces Military University
|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Dave's ESL Cafe Korean Job Board is maintained by Dave Sperling with WebBBS 4.33.