|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
One native speaker of English for an assistant-level foreign faculty position in British-American English culture and literature, as well as general English skills, beginning March 1, 2018
Posted By: Dongguk University <[email protected]>
Date: Thursday, 19 October 2017, at 4:15 p.m.
This is a non-tenure track full time position, and contracts will be renewed every year based on class evaluations. The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching all levels of undergraduate courses and MA-level graduate courses. We are looking for a dedicated professional who has a minimum of 4-year teaching experience and a strong sense of responsibility.
BEFORE YOU APPLY, PLEASE CHECK THE FOLLOWING:
ē Apply only if you are in Korea. We are not considering applicants who are in foreign countries.
ē Eligible applicants must be an E1 visa holder. We cannot hire foreign applicants with other types of visa.
1. About the University and Area
Dongguk University is a Buddhist university located in Gyeongju, a city of about 300,000 people. Gyeongju, which was a capital city of ancient Shilla, is renowned for its cultural and historic heritage, as well as for its abundant outdoor recreation activities. It is conveniently located within an hour of Daegu, Busan, Ulsan, and Pohang, and is also a 35-minute drive from the East Sea.
(1) Teaching load
(a) The successful candidate will teach all levels of undergraduate courses related to British-American English culture and literature, as well as general English skills, and graduate courses at an MA level (see Appendix below for a course listing to be taught).
(b) The minimum teaching load is 12 hours per week, but the successful candidate may be requested to teach additional credits with an extra payment.
(c) The successful candidate must hold office hours on a regular basis, in accordance with the University regulations.
(2) Other duties
(a) The successful candidate will be asked to attend regular (or ad hoc) faculty meetings of the English Department or the College of Humanities.
(b) The Department expects the successful candidate to actively participate in various events held by the members of the Department.
(c) The successful candidate should be able to coordinate with the other faculty in the Department in developing new courses and/or special programs for studentsí career development.
(1) Applicants must have at least a Masterís degree.
(2) Applicants satisfying one of the following requirements will be given priority for consideration:
(a) Applicants with a Masterís degree in (British-American) English literature or culture; or
(b) Applicants with a Masterís degree in English linguistics or TESOL, who prove with their previous record of teaching that they can teach undergraduate-level courses in British-American English culture and literature; or
(c) Applicants with a Ph.D. degree in humanities areas other than those listed above, who prove with their previous record of teaching that they can teach undergraduate-level courses in British-American English culture and literature.
(3) Applicants with more than 4 years of teaching experience at university-level institutions are preferred.
(4) We will conduct interviews only with applicants who are currently residing in Korea and can attend in-person interviews on the designated date. We will not hold phone interviews in any circumstances.
4. Contract Details
(1) 12 hours/week, minimum of 4 days/week.
(2) Starting salary is 2.65 million won for a Masterís degree holder and 2.8 million won for a Ph.D. holder. Exact salary will be commensurate with the applicantís experience. Taxes are deducted based on Korean Tax Law.
(3) Overtime rate is 22,000 won/hour for credited courses in accordance with the payment system employed by the University (but it is subject to change).
(4) A private office space with a personal computer is provided.
(5) 3.1 million won/year (equivalent to approx. 250,000 won/month) for house rents will be added in salary (Note that living expenses are quite reasonable in the Gyeongju area).
(6) Health insurance plan is provided (based on National Health).
(7) The corporate pension plan is based on the Private University Pension Law. There is no end of year severance pay.
5. Required Documents (PLEASE INCLUDE EVERYTHING)
Please make sure that you include ALL of the following documents in your application packet:
(1) Application form: Please download an application form attached, and fill out and sign the cover page. If you do not have any research experience, the rest of the form may be left unfilled.
(2) Cover letter: Please specify all contact information, as well as reasons you think you are qualified or suitable for the position.
(3) Curriculum vitae: Educational background, teaching experience, and research experience, if any, must be specified in detail.
(4) List of courses you have taught: Course names, institutions, semester and year must be provided in a periodical order.
(5) Contact information of recommender: The contact information of one or two recommenders for the applicant must be provided, and the information should include his/her affiliation, position, phone number and email address.
(6) Photo copy/Scan of a passport with nationality and date of birth visible
(7) Photo copies/Scans of university transcripts and diploma(s)
(8) Photo copy of your Alien Registration Card (make sure your visa status is visible)
Omission of any docs listed above will lead to disqualification of application.
6. Application Deadline
We will accept applications through 5:00 pm KST, November 3 (Fri), 2017.
7. On-campus Interview
(1) We are planning to conduct on-campus interviews between 3:00 pm and 5 pm on Tuesday, November 14 (the exact time frame may vary) and the interview time and site will be announced to the shortlisted applicants.
(2) Please specify when you apply if you would be able to make it to the on-site interview.
8. How to Apply?
In order to apply, please submit hard copies of ALL the application documents (listed in Section 5) by postal mail to the following address. Only application documents delivered by 5:00 pm on Friday, November 3 will be accepted and given full consideration.
Foreign Faculty Search Committee (Chair: Prof. Mean-Young Song)
Department of English Language and Literature
123 Dongdae-ro, Gyeongju-si
Please make sure that apart from your application packet, you also send electronic copies of Application Form, Cover Letter, CV, and List of Courses Taught to Prof. Mean-Young Song at [email protected].
9. Other Information
(1) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the Department.
(2) Please do not include personal tutor experience in your teaching experience in CV.
(3) Official transcripts will be requested before you sign the contract.
(4) Applicants who have a Masterís in other areas than English literature or linguistics but have a TESOL certificate must specify hours of training courses for the certificate in CV.
Attachment: Dongguk University Application Form -
Appendix: Courses to be taught (Selective, not exhaustive)
(1) Spring semester:
a. Understanding American History and Presentation Skills (2 sections)
b. British-American Public Culture and Writing Skills (2 sections)
(2) Fall semester:
a. New Media and English Practice (2 sections)
b. Understanding British-American Multi-Culture and Debate (2 sections)
Download Application Form Here
|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Dave's ESL Cafe Korean Job Board is maintained by Dave Sperling with WebBBS 4.33.