|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Documents ready soon? June/July placements available for a unique teaching opportunity near Daegu (UCCS)
Posted By: UCCS- Office of International Affairs <email@example.com>
Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2013, at 11:55 a.m.
Full-time English language teachers are needed for a unique teaching opportunity outside of Daegu, South Korea. The Daegu Gyeongbuk English Village (DGEV) was established through a partnership between The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (Colorado, US) and Yeungjin College (Daegu, South Korea). The purpose of the Village is to offer additional training to students of all ages in the usage of the English language in an experiential learning environment. For more information on DGEV please see:
The city of Daegu, the third largest city in the country, is a one-hour flight or ninety minute KTX train ride southeast of Seoul. DGEV is located thirty minutes from Daegu in a protected mountain setting.
Full-time teachers will commit to a twelve-month contract and teach five days per week as scheduled (possibly including weekends, holidays, and evening hours). An on-site international management team provides continuing support to teachers in all facets of teaching and living at the Village, with additional support from the UCCS side. Teachers are advised and supported through the process of obtaining a work visa prior to departure for Korea.
• Bachelor's degree in an academic field
• A commitment to teaching in diverse linguistic and cultural educational settings
• Cultural sensitivity to the Korean culture and lifestyle
• Willingness to attend a one-week unpaid orientation and training upon arrival in Korea
• Ability to commit to a twelve-month contract
Preferred minimum qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in an academic field related to education or English
• At least one year of teaching experience
• K-8 teaching credentials or early childhood education experience
Salary range: ₩ (South Korean Won) 24,000,000 (Level 1) to 30,000,000 (Level 4)
Note: The final salary payment amount ultimately depends on bonuses or overtime that may have been paid over the duration of the contract.
• Private furnished dorm room with bath/heated floors/central air conditioning, plus three meals per day in the Village cafeteria. (The accommodation provided is valued at an estimated ₩ 12,253,164. Teachers signing a second contract may have the option of moving into off-campus apartments.)
• Access to the Internet, computer resources, a teacher resource room/office space, a 24-hour on-site fitness center, and scheduled shuttle bus service between the Village and Daegu.
• Korean health insurance and pension plans (with a small percentage of monthly salary contributed by the teacher).
• Twenty paid vacation days/two paid sick days per twelve-month contract.
• An airline ticket from the teacher’s home country to Korea. After completing the full contract period, a return flight ticket is also provided. Flight costs are not covered if the contract terms are broken.
• An opportunity for generous bonus pay twice a year based on “above and beyond” performance. Note: Bonuses are not part of the teacher contract and are not guaranteed.
If you are interested in being considered for a teaching position at DGEV, please submit the following materials via e-mail:
• A completed application form (see http://www.uccs.edu/international/teaching-overseas/dgevemploymentoverview/dgevempopps.html)
• A letter of interest detailing why you would like to teach at DGEV
• A current résumé or curriculum vitae
• Any other information that will give us better insight into your professional abilities and experience
Please also be prepared to submit electronic scans of the following items in advance of interview:
• University diploma
• University transcripts displaying degree conferred (unofficial copies accepted for interview process)
• The first two pages of your passport
Qualified candidates from Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK, and the US are all encouraged to apply.
Ms. Sarah Vinz
Global Programs Liaison, Office of International Affairs
University of Colorado Colorado Springs
1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, Main Hall 106, Colorado Springs, CO 80918, USA
• All applicants should be aware that immigration requirements for a Korean E-2 work visa include a national-level criminal background check with federal apostille, a copy of the teacher’s highest degree with state apostille, and health screening for HIV/drugs. The exact requirements set by the Korean immigration authorities vary slightly based on the teacher’s nationality. Teacher reference checks, criminal background checks, and a Korean health screening will be conducted for teachers that are hired. Contracts are conditional upon each of these requirements being satisfied.
• New teachers should plan to arrive one week early for unpaid training/orientation and to take care of personal matters (bank accounts, health insurance/screening, etc.). The pay period is effective upon the first official day of teaching at DGEV and the contract appointment shall end twelve months after that date. Pay day is the 25th of each month.
• Teachers are employees of Yeungjin College, not UCCS.
• Placement dates later in the year are also available.
|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Dave's ESL Cafe Korean Job Board is maintained by Dave Sperling with WebBBS 4.33.