|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Early Years Teacher Needed in Shanghai
Posted By: Studio Education <[email protected]>
Date: Wednesday, 9 October 2019, at 7:51 p.m.
Job Description – Early Years Teacher (Full-Time)
Title: Early Years Literature and Writing Teacher (Full-Time)
Scale: Teacher Annual Salary Scale – RMB 309,000 to 400,200
Start Date: mid Jan 2020
Duration of Contract: 1.5 Years (Jan2020-Aug2021)
Supervised, Evaluated by and Reports to: Headteacher
【Position – Literature and Writing Teacher (Full-Time)】
Teachers with at least two years of primary, middle school, or high school teaching experience are needed to teach an advanced literature and writing program that's based on the most distinguished classic and contemporary chapter books, early children's novels, and young adult novels in English. Learning focuses are reading, vocabulary, comprehension, literary analysis, and oral presentation. The writing portion of the course includes stories and essays. Weekly sessions are typically 3 hours long. Each weekend class will have a maximum of 8 or 9 students, while online classes will have a maximum of 5 students. The ideal teaching candidates will have distinguished academic and work records, and will be highly professional in personal presentation, communication skills, and work ethic.
【Hours and Location(s) 】
The teaching locations are in the Hongqiao area of Puxi.
•30 Standard Semester Weekends
•Mandatory working hours: Friday 1:00pm – 9:00pm, Saturday 8:30am – 7:45pm and Sunday 8:30am – 4:45pm
•During winter breaks, holiday breaks, and summer breaks.
•12 weeks of 5 consecutive days, 6 teaching hours per day.
【About the School】
Our weekend school was started by an Oxford educated British schoolteacher who has lived in Shanghai since 2008. He started teaching privately at the weekends in 2013, teaching in small groups in privately rented classrooms. He was joined by three partners in the summer of 2014. There are currently more than 100 teachers and staff and the school has a presence in Australia, China, the UK, and the USA. The school does not advertise and is majority owned by partners, most of who teach part-time and full-time. The school has grown almost entirely by word of mouth – the students' parents like our work because our teachers not only care about the progress of the children in their classes but because progress has been reliably consistent.
【Students and Parents】
Our students attend local and international schools and range in grades from Kindergarten to Grade 12. Their parents are primarily highly educated business professionals and intellectual elites who expect their children – not just to meet – but to exceed the academic expectations at the best international schools in Shanghai. The vast majority of our parents plan to send their children to rigorous, private middle schools and high schools abroad.
1. A four-year university degree from a prestigious/top ranked university (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States).
1. A four-year university degree.
2. A state/government issued teaching license/credential which qualifies an individual to teach at regular schools (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States).
•Related Work Experience
1. Graduates of prestigious/top ranked university (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States) need some teaching experience.
2. Candidates holding a four-year university degree; AND a state/government issued teaching license/credential which qualifies an individual to teach at regular schools (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States), need a minimum of two years of full-time teaching experience (at an established international school or at a school in the teacher's home country).
【Partial List of Teaching Duties and Other Responsibilities】
The teacher will perform all duties and responsibilities listed in this section as well as any additional duties and responsibilities that are assigned by the Headteacher.
• The teacher will be able to teach our intellectually stimulating and developmentally appropriate curriculum which is different and more rigorous than literacy frameworks commonly used in state, national, and international curriculums such as EYFS and NAEYC.
• The teacher will be a proponent of the philosophy that it is possible to teach non-native English speakers/bilingual students using native level materials, and that non-native speakers can be guided to perform at levels far beyond what are considered standard grade level expectations. Ideally, a track record in this area will prove this commitment.
2. Classroom Management
• The teacher will demonstrate outstanding classroom management skills.
• The teacher will ensure that the students are safe at all times.
• The teacher will establish a harmonious and productive learning environment.
3. Lesson Planning
• The teacher will submit completed lesson plans to the headteacher and/or the department head by set due dates.
4. Parent Communication
• The teacher will regularly contact parents in order to inform them of their children’s progress.
• The teacher will reply to email messages from parents
5. Correcting Homework
• The teacher will make careful and detailed corrections, and will provide written and timely feedback, on all story and essay writing assignments. (within 1 week)
6. Student Portfolios
• The teacher will ensure that all student maintain high quality writing portfolios.
7. Additional Teacher Responsibilities
• The teacher will perform all duties and responsibilities listed in this section as well as any additional duties and responsibilities that are assigned by the Headteacher.
【Compensation and Benefits】
A full-time contract for teachers is based on 30 semester weekends and 12 holiday weeks outlined in the aforementioned section “Hours and Locations” on Page 1 of this job description.
1. Total Gross Annual Package Including Benefits：RMB 309,000 – 400,200
2. Benefits Included in Gross Package
• Housing and Utilities: RMB 6,000 to 10,000 per month – official government receipts (fapiaos) are required.
• Annual International Return Flight to Home Country: RMB 8,500 per year – official receipt is required.
• Holidays: paid Chinese national holidays, plus 25-30 paid vacation days
3. Additional Benefits Not Included in Gross Package
• Chinese Work Permit – all costs will be paid by the school.
• Medical Insurance: school with purchase a group medical plan on the teacher’s behalf.
• Compliance Bonus – teachers are eligible to receive the equivalent of one month of their after-tax salary upon complete compliance with Studio punctuality and class attendance policies. Tardiness and missed classes will result in fixed deductions from the annual compliance bonus (deduction table provided in official contract). The compliance bonus will be paid annually at the end of the contract.
【How to Apply】
If you are interested in applying for a teaching position, please follow the steps below:
1. Send your resume/CV to the email address below.
2. Include a cover letter of no more than 250 words.
3. Inquires without full resumes/CVs AND cover letters will not be considered.
Email: [email protected]
In the SUBJECT LINE, please copy and paste: Early Years Teacher (Full-Time)
|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Dave's ESL Cafe China Job Board is maintained by Dave Sperling with WebBBS 4.33.