|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
English Language Teacher - Volunteer in Myanmar, 6 months (Canadians Only)
Posted By: Cuso International
Date: Friday, 20 September 2019, at 4:40 p.m.
Location Hpa An, Myanmar
Start Date Sep - Nov 2018 (flexible), 6 Months
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
Although English language has become an essential for higher employment, potential tourism businesses and higher education, access to proper language skill development opportunities are still limited for youth in Hpa-An. Knowing that gap, the Youth Learning Center (YLS) was founded in 2015 by local youth who dreamed to promote educational opportunities for young people in Karen State. Their goal is to provide educational opportunities such as English language, computer skills, teacher training, entrepreneurship, women’s empowerment, and leadership training.
As a volunteer you will teach both foundation and preparation classes on International English Language Testing System (IELTS). On a normal week, you will find yourself making preparation for class of 20-30 students, running 8 -10 interactive classes, one-to-one mentoring session for scholarship application, and organizing or participating in different events organized in the youth learning center. You will also help and guide staff in preparing curriculum for the six months program and building resources and materials for Intermediate classes at the learning center.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Review and advice on the system of assessment to grade student into differ level
- Identify suitable resource book for the other English Classes together with staff and produce applications for support to renew the YLC library and resource collection
- Plan and design IELTs and review existing general English Curriculum in corporation with Teacher at YLC
- Run 8-10 classes of classes per week including activities session (IELTS and General English)
- Support on 1 other class (depending on the skills of the volunteer, but could be computers, public speaking, photography, etc.)
Essential Academic Qualifications:
ESL or TEFL or EAL certificate
Essential Professional Background:
-2-3 years of English teaching experience
-Fluent command of the English language, both writing and speaking
-Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading abilities
About Cuso International and Our Partner
Cuso International is a development organization that works to eradicate poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships, and compassionate donors. We mobilize hundreds of skilled volunteer professionals every year to work with local partners in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada to create positive, lasting change. Established in 1961, Cuso International is dedicated to tackling today’s most important development issues.
Youth Learning Center
Youth Learning Center was founded in 2014 by local youth focus person those who actively promote educational development for young people in Karen State. YLC is a self-funded community learning center.
Our regular programs are English 4 skills Classes (Elementary, Pre-intermediate and Intermediate), Basic Computer Class, Basic Guitar Class, Organizational Development partnership with Payap University and Hp-e Learning for social entrepreneurs and other services. Our school activities are Sports (football, Cane Ball), Drama, Local Exchange, Culture and Modal Dance Club, music, movie and environment cleaning. Our Community Development programs are Life-Skill Training/Awareness, Youth & Women Empowerment on Leadership and Summer English Teaching (SET) program.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Dave's ESL Cafe International Job Board is maintained by Dave Sperling with WebBBS 4.33.