|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
ESL Teacher Needed - Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
Posted By: Collège Nordique Francophone <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, 9 July 2019, at 6:00 p.m.
Job Title : ESL Teacher
Type : Regular full-time 37.5h a week to include evenings and Saturdays when necessary
Contract duration : 2 years, possibility of extension
Wage and benefits : Competitive salary
Start date : As soon as possible
Location : Yellowknife, NT
Employer : Collège nordique francophone
Reporting to the Executive Director, the incumbent is part of the language teaching team and will be specifically in charge of teaching English (Canadian Language Benchmarks 1 to 8), and language skills development to a diverse clientele of adult newcomers learners, while increasing their understanding of Canadian local, social, workplace and cultural norms. S/He performs language skills assessment based on CLB, and training is provided for that purpose where appropriate. S/He monitors students progress through the components of portfolio based language assessments and provides feedback to students informally on an ongoing basis and formally through student progress reports.
• Administers and scores the Canadian Language Benchmarks Assessment (CLBA) to eligible clients to determine English language proficiency and place clients in the appropriate courses
• Determines client eligibility for federally funded English language training services
• Designs and delivers lessons at an appropriate level for adult learners attending the class
• Creates lesson plans based on the LINC program
• Teaches English language and learning skills using a variety of instructional techniques
• Assesses and obtains current and relevant resource materials
• Schedules time to meet with students for the mid-term and end-of term conferencing
• Delivers a curriculum that advances the newcomer’s understanding of life and work in Canada
• Assesses learner’s progress in-class through Portfolio-Based Language Assessments, completes Learner Conference Summaries and Progress Reports and advances learners to the next level of learning when appropriate
• Documents learners progress, etc. and maintains a file on each student
• Provides learners attendance reports monthly to executive director
• Attends the meetings of the language teaching team
• Acts as a resource to language team members, assists with goal setting for the program by sharing information and resources, and pursues the development of job-related skills and knowledge
• Teaches according
• Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Adult Education, Education or related field
• ESL Teaching Certificate or equivalent
• 1-3 years’ experience teaching English as a second language to adults
• Knowledge and experience working with Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) would be considered an asset
• Knowledge of French would be considered an asset
• Criminal records check required
• Must have the correct permits to work in Canada
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to work with immigrant clients in a supportive, solution-focused manner
• Understand the challenges facing the newcomer populations
• Knowledge of issues related to newcomers: settlement, credential recognition, etc.
• Ability to communicate in a professional manner when interacting with clients, partners and all stakeholders via phone, email and in person
• Must possess strong interpersonal skills, active listening, public speaking and decision-making skills
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
• Ability to understand and to teach the appropriate pedagogy for adults and newcomers
• Good understanding of the local community and resources for newcomers
• Above average ability to use MS Programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint
About the Employer
The Collège nordique francophone (CNF) is a post-secondary education establishment located in
Yellowknife, in the Northwest Territories. Established in 2011 to meet the needs of the community, CNF offers professional, language and continuing education programs to support the needs of the labour market and foster lifelong learning. The Collège distinguishes itself for its northern character, for the accessibility of its training, and for its language school.
Creativity, diversity, commitment and pride are the values that guide our growth and contribute to our success as a learning establishment and employer of choice. Our culture is supported by motivated, creative and dedicated employees. The Collège is committed to fostering an environment that encourages employees to communicate their ideas and meet challenges.
Why work for the Collège nordique francophone?
• Recognized by the community and the GNWT for its credibility
• Innovative education approach
• Learning programs focused on labour market needs and lifelong learner
• Committed to maintaining high-quality client services standards
• Qualified and enthusiastic team
Why live in the NWT?
• Unequalled lifestyle that blends open air, adventure and culture
• Unique cultural environment in a territory where 11 languages are spoken
• Prime location to raise a family
End of Posting: July 24, 2019, 11H59 PM (MST)
If you are interested in applying, please send your curriculum vitae and covering letter by email to [email protected]. We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Dave's ESL Cafe International Job Board is maintained by Dave Sperling with WebBBS 4.33.