|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
English Language Teacher (Canadians Only) 6 Months | Start Date between Sep - Nov 2018 - Tanintharyi, Myanmar
Posted By: Cuso International
Date: Monday, 3 December 2018, at 4:28 p.m.
The Volunteer’s Role
Staff and leadership at the Department of Rural Development (DRD) in Myeik recognize the importance of having access to English language skills. They want to interact with other governments in south-east Asia. They want access to best practice and learning documents from other countries. They want to be able to make better use of the internet. They want to read the government newspaper – which is published in English. If they want to serve the country and do the best job possible, they know that English language skills are essential.
This is where you come in! You will support staff and government officials at DRD in Myeik to increase their English skills both through formal lessons, 1-2-1 conversation and on the job support. According to DRD needs and priorities, you will organize group English lessons according to skills levels, with the objective of increasing the capacity for communication in joint projects between DRD and international partner organizations. At times these lessons will have to focus on certain vocabularies in order to ensure that staff is ready for topical meetings, but at other times it will be general grammar and vocabulary building.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Provide daily teaching of English as a second language (Grammar, Reading, Writing, Speaking and listening) to DRD staffs
-Provide research skills and translation skills and on the job support in these skill areas through daily contact in the designated department
-Continue to develop and adapt the ESL curriculum for DRD staff through the use of various teaching methods (e.g. lecture, discussion, role-players, readings, grammar handouts, songs, debate, etc); explore short English Novel club as a way to encourage language practice and engagement outside the classroom.
-Provide some English classes to small business owners in the community to support them to build their business.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- English as a Second Language (ESL) or Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) or English as an Additional Language (EAL) certificate
Essential Professional Background:
-Experience working with adult learners
-At least one year of previous ESL teaching experience
-Experience working in government work.
About Our Partner
Department of Rural Development -Myeik
The Tanintharyi Department of Rural Development (DRD) was opened in 2013 and falls under the umbrella of the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation. The Ministry is headquartered at the Union level Ministry Office (the Head Quarter Office) in Nay Pyi Taw; there are Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation offices in all 14 of the States/Regions as well as in 5 Provinces of Self Administration in Myanmar, with representatives also active at the District Level and Township Level. The aim of the DRD is to improve the infrastructure and economy of rural residents. The four main activities for the DRD are: construction of roads and bridges, water supply, electricity, and poverty alleviation.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Apply on our Website: https://goo.gl/azx18C
|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Dave's ESL Cafe International Job Board is maintained by Dave Sperling with WebBBS 4.33.