|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Teach in Vietnam!
Posted By: Global English Center <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wednesday, 19 July 2017, at 10:39 a.m.
Our school is five years old now and has both, foreign and Vietnamese, teachers. Trung T‚m Ngoại Ngữ Toŗn Cầu or the "Global English Centre", was founded by the current Director, Mrs. Le Thi Thao, who was the first student from Quang Ngai to go to Australia to complete a Masterís degree.
Currently, we have about 1,100 students aged between 5 and 18. Every class has three or four 90-minute lessons per week, depending on the studentsí age: Younger students have two classes with a foreign teacher and another two with a Vietnamese teacher, who uses the English textbook that the students are using in their regular school. Starting in 10th grade, however, students have three classes per week with a foreign teacher (and no more classes with Vietnamese teachers). Depending on need, students also get additional, individualized help from our teachers and staff. The classes are medium-sized at about 12-14 students. For grades 1 and 2, all foreign teachers get a Vietnamese assistant who speaks some English. Eight months back, we started offering preschool classes.
Our 14 foreign teachers are between 27 and 65 years old. Currently, we have three teachers from the U.S., three from the Philippines, three from Germany, and one from each: Australia, New Zealand, France, the U.K. and South Africa. Twenty months ago, we moved to our new school building.
We are looking for native speakers from all over the world, and all nationalities and qualified non-native speakers with appropriate training and excellent oral language skills will also be considered. Since Quang Ngai parents are keen on enrolling their very young children, starting at the age of five, we are now primarily looking for female teachers who have experience, ability, and interest in pre- and elementary ESL teaching.
You need at least a Bachelorís degree to legally work as a teacher in Vietnam. Needless to say, a higher degree in the field (TESOL, Linguistics, ECE or Special Education) would be an asset. We offer a supportive work environment in which you are encouraged to be creative and work independently. Our work hours are different from ordinary schools, though; we operate mostly from 14:00 to 20:40 (Mon to Fri) and 8-11:00 and 14-19:05/20:40 on weekends. Youíll be required to teach 20 classes distributed over six days per week. Your day off will likely be during the week, not on weekends. First Friends, Super Minds, Oxford Phonics, Family & Friends and the Skills series form the backbone of our curriculum.
Our ideal candidate is a native speaker who has a college degree in a relevant field (English Language Teaching, ECE, etc.) and a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate, plus some experience, but we also consider inexperienced applicants from outside the field who would like to begin teaching English as a career.
Our starting salary is depends on teacherís qualifications and experience: US$ 1,300 per month (net) for experienced teachers and US$ 1,200 for inexperienced candidates (native speakers) who hold a Bachelorís degree. The pay may not seem much, but keep in mind that
- the school provides housing (more on that below),
- that you only need about 150 dollars per month to live well here in Quang Ngai, and
- that 1,100 bucks per month puts you well within the upper ten percent income bracket in QN (the average VN person between USD 90 and 160 per month).
Applicants should have proof in hand that attests their ability to teach English as a foreign language. If you start working here without a TESOL/TEFL certificate, the local authorities will require you to finish an online course during the first six months of your stay. Contracts are typically for one year and renewable, provided satisfactory performance. Should you decide to stay with us for another year, your monthly salary may increase by 50 or 100 dollars.
As I have briefly mentioned, work compensation also includes accommodation (but not utilities). We completed our teachersí residence in Jan 2016; it is actually one wing of the U-shaped school. In other words, youíd live at the school, which is very convenient especially during the rainy season. Since classes typically donít start until 14:00 or 15:30 during the week, it is quiet during those mornings in which you arenít working.
Here's what the position demands in a nutshell:
- Teaching the required hours,
- Managing the classroom so that is conducive to learning,
- A kind, professional demeanor (which needs to extend into town),
- Taking part in meetings (there will be only a few), and
- Developing exercises conducive to students' success.
Skills and attitudes needed:
- Ability and interest to teach English to students aged between 5 and 13,
- Flexibility and ability to improvise,
- Sensitivity to students' needs,
- Dedication to students' success,
- Patience and a sense of humor (the more the better), and
- a tad idealism.
To apply please submit: a concise letter of motivation in an email that addresses how your specific experiences, qualifications, and interests fit our needs. Please state your motivation to work for us and why you like the idea of coming to Quang Ngaióin other words, please submit a letter that indicates that you have read the job ad.
1) a concise CV/resume that lists relevant qualifications and experiences,
1) electronic copies of your degree(s) and TESOL certificate,
2) one reference (name, position, phone number) who we could contact,
3) an electronic copy of your passport.
Please send to email@example.com
Please include a phone number/Skype ID in the email and tell us where you reside at the moment. If you have committed somewhere else until sometime in the near future, please donít hesitate to apply. hire year Ďround.
Some additional notes:
- Quang Ngai is not exactly a place for people who are addicted to fun; you need to be able to amuse yourself. Your future colleagues are nice, fun-loving people, however. We party and go on trips together. If you like the idea of living in the Ďreal Vietnamí (and not in some expats enclave where, in all likelihood, the same petty complaints about VN are rehashed daily), Quang Ngai is the place to be. If you canít live without Western food, on the other hand, look elsewhere. In other words, make sure that youíre willing to come to Quang Ngai (and look up where it is before you apply: we've had several candidates who, after a lengthy email/interview process, realized that they, after all, didn't want to live in QN).
- We can't hire teachers with children since there is no international school here.
- Please donít apply if you ďlove Hoi AnĒ. Quang Ngai is pretty much the antithesis of Hoi An. QN is a quaint provincial town of 120,000 people that pretty much closes down after 22:00. There are no pizzerias, fast-food places, or Western style bars here (but scads of nice coffee shops, decent street food, and two nightclubs). There are also small places where you can sit and enjoy some beers after 10 pm (which we frequently do).
|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Dave's ESL Cafe International Job Board is maintained by Dave Sperling with WebBBS 4.33.