|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Intensive English Teaching Position at an American Style University in Cote d’Ivoire, West Africa
Posted By: International University of Grand-Bassam <email@example.com>
Date: Friday, 24 March 2017, at 9:32 a.m.
The International University of Grand-Bassam opened in 2005 as the first American style university in Cote d’Ivoire. Since Cote d’Ivoire is a French-speaking country, most students need intensive English courses before starting university-level coursework. The University Preparatory Program, which prepares students in English, study skills, and math reinforcement, seeks to hire more full time faculty for the September 2017 semester.
Grand-Bassam was the first colonial capital of Cote d’Ivoire; today it is a popular beach resort and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: UPP#2017/08
FULL-TIME FACULTY POSITION IN INTENSIVE ENGLISH
Position: Full-Time Instructors in Intensive English
School or Unit: University Preparatory Program
Application Deadline: 6.00 p.m. GMT, April 24, 2017
Appointment Date: Up to three (3) Lecturer positions to be filled for September 2017
Salary: Variable, depending on experience.
The International University of Grand-Bassam (IUGB) is an independent institution, established as a private-public partnership, offering an American-style curriculum in English. IUGB opened in 2005 and was formally accredited as a University in Côte d’Ivoire, by the promulgation of Decree n° 2007-477 on 16 May 2007. IUGB offers Bachelor degree programs in the School of Business and Social Sciences and in the School of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Our Université Preparatory Program prepares students for university-level work through courses in English language and study skills courses.
The mission of IUGB, as a world class, not-for-profit, American-style institution, is to deliver an English-language liberal arts education in fields critical to Côte d’Ivoire and West Africa's growth and development.
The University’s core values, which include caring, ethics, equal opportunity, gender equality, and lifelong learning, underpin its teaching, research, and service activities to produce innovative, entrepreneurial, and socially responsible leaders.
The University is located in Grand-Bassam, a coastal city about 20 miles east of the economic capital, Abidjan. All instruction is in English. However, applicants should be aware that, while IUGB is an English medium institution, it is located in a French-speaking environment.
The Instructor will be expected to teach Intensive English courses at IUGB and to render services as required by IUGB administration. Materials development and providing learning support to students are integral responsibilities of this position. Courses at university level (such as composition, speech, technical communication, or foreign language) might also be assigned, depending on the candidate’s qualifications and interests.
1. Teaching courses in the UPP intensive English program (normally 15 course hours per week);
2. Contributing to the development of the program through materials and curriculum development, peer observations, and contributions to teaching workshops;
3. Providing additional tutoring to students through the writing lab, student clubs, and other programs;
4. Attending faculty meetings;
5. Identifying learning needs of students, defining appropriate learning objectives, and ensuring that content, methods of delivery and learning materials will meet the defined learning objectives;
6. Choosing appropriate textbooks and other teaching materials, designing lesson plans, delivering course contents to students;
7. Assessing and grading students’ work and examinations, and providing constructive feedback to students;
8. Seeking to improve teaching performance by continuously being up-to-date with current advances in pedagogy, and obtaining and analyzing feedback from students, peers, and the Director;
9. Collaborating with support staff and academic colleagues to ensure student needs and expectations are met;
10. Collaborating with academic colleagues on course development as well as curriculum development or changes.
Additional responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
11. Teaching courses for the Center for Continuing Education or courses in the University core;
12. Assisting with the student admissions and placement process;
13. Participation in a limited number of student recruitment events.
• Essential: Master’s in TESOL/Applied Linguistics or related field, or equivalent, preferably earned from an institution in an English-speaking country.
• Essential: Excellent English skills.
• Preferred: Familiarity with the American system of higher education.
• Essential: At least three semesters experience teaching English to speakers of other languages, preferably at university level.
• Highly recommended: International teaching experience and/or study or extended stay in an English-speaking country.
• Desirable: Experience in university intensive English programs or similar language programs.
Essential Skills and Personal Qualities:
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams.
• Commitment to high quality teaching.
• Commitment to making a contribution to the growth and development of a young, innovative institution.
• Basic computer literacy.
• Willingness and ability to integrate educational technologies into teaching and course management.
• Creativity and interest in materials development.
To ensure consideration:
Candidates should send the following documents electronically to the IUGB office of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org before 18.00 (GMT) on April 24, 2017.
a. A letter of application stating the candidate’s interest in the position and qualifications;
b. A curriculum vitae including the names and contact details of at least two referees;
c. Evidence of effective teaching, for example, copies of teaching evaluations;
d. Transcripts of graduate studies completed (official transcripts will be requested from successful applicants).
Very Important Notice: Before submitting your application via email, be sure to include in the subject line the Vacancy Announcement number and the position title: VA UPP#2017/08.
|Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg|
Dave's ESL Cafe International Job Board is maintained by Dave Sperling with WebBBS 4.33.