Online MA in TESOL!
RHYMING MEMORY: My friend Susan at EMU taught me this game. It's a pronunciation game which can be played with any age or proficiency
First, make a list of rhyming pairs - TRY TO FIND WORDS WHICH RHYME BUT HAVE VERY DIFFERENT SPELLINGS.
Try to come up with about twenty-five pairs. First, print them on a sheet to give to the students. Then write each word on an index card.
1. pass out the sheet to the students and review the pronunciation.
2. gather all the students together in a circle on the floor.
3. in the middle of the circle, spread out the cards, face down (so they can't see the words).
4. the first student turns over two cards and must pronounce them correctly. If they rhyme, he/she takes the cards and goes again. If they don't
rhyme, she/he turns them back over.
5. take turns, going around the circle. The students must remember where the rhyming pairs are.
6. when all the cards are gone, the student with the most card wins.
If you go slowly and keep correcting pronunciation, this game will take about forty minutes to an hour. It's lots of fun!
Ann Arbor, MI USA
World's Best Jobs!
Dave's ESL Cafe Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.