NAZO'S ONION DISCUSSION
Here is an icebreaker that also could be done as a pre activity for any reading or listening. You just have to create unfinished sentences or questions that you would like your students to discuss before the reading or listening.
This is for the students to get to know eachother on the first day of a course. It could be applied to pre intermediate students.
The class has to be divided into two groups. If you have a class of 16 then 8 students make an inner circle and 8 students make an outer circle. The inner circle people have to face the outer circle people after they have formed a circle. The teacher gives everyone the 8 prompts or questions and says "buzz" When the students hear "buzz", they have to start talking about the first prompt. After one minute, the teacher rings a bell and the outer circle people move one step to their right so that they have another partner to talk to this time. This continues. Here are the 8 prompts:
1. Tell your partner about your family life
2. Tell your partner about your personality
3. Tell our partner about your friends
4. Tell your partner about your likes/dislikes
5. Tell your partner about your education
6. Tell your partner about your choice of this university
7. Tell your partner about your study habits
8. Tell your partner about your future plans
World's Best Jobs!
Dave's ESL Cafe Copyright © 2008 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.