|FAQ: Dave Sperling
- Who are you? - Top
- I was born and raised in Los Angeles, California (where I still live), but spent nearly a decade teaching EFL in Japan and Thailand.
I have a BA in Psychology from Pepperdine University, and an MA in Applied Linguistics from California State University, Northridge.
My wife, Dao, is from Thailand, and we have two very lovely children: Shannon (born in 1997) and Benjamin (born in 1991). Oh, and I also have a dog named Albie!
- How do you manage it all? - Top
- It's not always easy, that's for sure! I've been building and maintaining my ESL Cafe since 1995, which means that I've had a lot of time to learn
from my mistakes (what took an hour to do in 1995 takes me 5 minutes now). The Cafe has also become a necessary part of my life. Sure, there are
times when it seems impossible to go on, but I somehow manage to muster the strength, motivation, and money to continue.
How do I do it all? I just do it. If one waits around for someone to come along and finance everything, nothing gets done. The beauty of the Net is that it's possible to immediately do something without all of the normal b.s.
When I first began in 1995 I wanted to form a team: content, HTML, graphics, and CGI programming. I wrote to dozens of individuals, but was rejected by all of them. "To heck with it," I thought, and just learned how to do everything myself. "Just do it!" is my motto.
- How did you learn the technical skills? - Top
- To be quite honest, I spent most of my life hating computers and staying away from them! In 1977 I took a computer class in high school and barely passed (and only because I sat next to the smartest kid in the class!).
In Japan and Thailand I managed to continue staying away from technology, but couldn't resist any longer as a grad student at California State University, Northridge. I broke down and bought my first computer (a Macintosh) and have been in love since.
I'm completely self-taught. If you love what you are doing and are motivated, learning is easy.
- How much e-mail do you get? - Top
- I get well over 100 e-mail messages per day, but always try to answer each and every one.
- Do you give workshops and presentations? - Top
- Yes, I've been giving Internet workshops and presentations around the globe since 1996. For information on pricing and my current schedule for this year, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are you an Internet consultant? - Top
- Yes, I'm a Multimedia Consultant to various organizations, schools, and companies. Need something done? E-mail me at email@example.com.
- Did you write a book? - Top
- Yes, I wrote three books: The Internet Guide for English Language Teachers (1997 Pearson Publishing), Dave Sperling's Internet Guide (1998 Pearson Publishing), and Dave Sperling's Internet Activity Workbook (1999 Pearson Publishing)
- Do you ever sleep?!! - Top
- Believe it or not, I do ... and very well! I do work hard every day teaching, writing, and running the Cafe, but it's work that I love.