Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Trinity DIP TESOL in canada

Posted By: My name is Joe and I AM. CANADIAN.
Date: Friday, 27 September 2019, at 9:06 a.m.

In Response To: Trinity DIP TESOL in canada (ian)

Check the provincial site for the province where you will be working. In Ontario, you need to do a one-year postgraduate certificate (Ontario Graduate Certificate from a college, or a certificate program from a university) to teach in the public system or to get into a masters degree in language teaching. In Quebec, even that (probably) wouldn't be enough.

Private language schools can really hire who they want to, but there is a surplus of people in Ontario with these one-year certificates which makes it more difficult if you do not have one.

Because there is a surplus in Ontario, people start heading out of Toronto or maybe Ottawa to other major cities in Canada outside of Ontario (like Vancouver). This is not only language teaching. Ontario has a lot of postgraduate certificates in all kinds of areas, churning out far more graduates than most industries need, and so graduates move out to Calgary, Vancouver etc for work, because in other provinces, these kinds of postgraduate certificates are less common.

Messages In This Thread

Trinity DIP TESOL in canada
ian -- Friday, 27 September 2019, at 9:06 a.m.
My name is Joe and I AM. CANADIAN. -- Friday, 27 September 2019, at 9:06 a.m.
Jeremy Phillips -- Friday, 27 September 2019, at 9:06 a.m.
My Name is Joe and I AM. CANADIAN -- Friday, 27 September 2019, at 9:06 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!