Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Age limit for TEFL?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Wednesday, 10 October 2018, at 10:55 p.m.

In Response To: Age limit for TEFL? (Weeniebeenie)

I am e-mailing in behalf of my mother who is interested in starting a career in TEFL. She wants to complete CELTA training with the aim of spending a few years teaching abroad. Our only concern is that she is 63. She is extremely young ay heart and had the skills to make an excellent t TEFL teacher but we are concerned she might not get the opportunity to be hired as a result of her age.

What are your thoughts on this?

Your concerns are valid; starting a career in TEFL at age 60+ is risky. In addition to blatant age discrimination, many countries have a mandatory retirement age, which generally ranges from 55 to 60 years of age. Although your mom may feel young at heart and have the qualities of a good teacher, work permits/visas are approved based on the passport holder's date of birth.

She'll be limited as to where she can teach -- compromising on jobs, conditions, and/or locations that aren't ideal. That said, I believe Cambodia's current retirement age is 65. There may also be countries in Central and S. America where she might find work at her age. But again, she could still face age bias by employers who want only young teachers regardless of labor laws. It's hit-or-miss. She needs to do her research and be realistic about her expectations.

Should she start a career in TEFL at age 63? I'd say give it a pass. Instead, she might look into nonprofit organizations that recruit mature volunteers to teach abroad.

Messages In This Thread

Age limit for TEFL?
Weeniebeenie -- Tuesday, 9 October 2018, at 3:34 p.m.
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 10 October 2018, at 10:55 p.m.
My Name is Joe and I AM. Canadian. -- Wednesday, 10 October 2018, at 6:30 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!