Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Age limit for TEFL?

Posted By: My Name is Joe and I AM. Canadian.
Date: Wednesday, 10 October 2018, at 6:30 p.m.

In Response To: Age limit for TEFL? (Weeniebeenie)

"Abroad" is a a pretty big place (especially when we don't know what "Not-abroad", or "domestically", means in this case- US? UK? Ireland? Canada? etc).

There are teachers who are in their early sixties teaching EFL. But (IME) most have been in the same country for a long time (maybe off and on, or maybe steadily) and are familiar with the country (and usually have contacts in the country as well- ones that they use to get jobs).

In Canada, there are a lot of language teachers in their sixties teaching in the government program for new immigrants, but many / most are volunteer teachers working with one person who is a paid teacher, often also an older lady (IME) but who has been teaching for many years. Universities have a variety of teaching ages, genders, and nationalities- but a masters degree in TESOL (or a teaching degree in TESOL [and you will see people doing that as student teachers in the LINC program as well] plus a masters degree in either the same or another subject) is a requirement.

Like any work area, experience actually doing the job, and qualification counts (often other than entry level positions, that may hire more based on 'atmosphere' of the employee [read, "appearance and age"] than on anything else).

Messages In This Thread

Age limit for TEFL?
Weeniebeenie -- Tuesday, 9 October 2018, at 3:34 p.m.
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 10 October 2018, at 10:55 p.m.
My Name is Joe and I AM. Canadian. -- Wednesday, 10 October 2018, at 6:30 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!