Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Failing the CELTA

Posted By: spiral78
Date: Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.

In Response To: Failing the CELTA (Drew)

"I studied for my CELTA at a CELTA academy down in South America. I ended up failing. The reason I was told was because I was not able to complete the lessons in the given time frames. I did have trouble with this issue. Interestingly enough though, there was another student who failed the course as well who had an extensive background in teaching English as a second language. I always thought it was really odd that I failed the course though. It didn't make sense especially with someone with a more extensive background than I did who failed it as well.
Fast forward to a very recent discussion I had with someone who had their DELTA. I told them about my experience. They told me they thought who ever failed me was being too harsh in the grading and that in their opinion I shouldn't have failed.
I am wondering now, is it common to fail your CELTA because of having difficulty of completing the lessons within the given time frames? The course I took seemed very rigid about this. If so, what remedies do you suggest for correcting the problem when preparing for the lessons. I have been thin king on trying the CELTA again.
It has also been suggested to me to try a different pedagogy like SIT."

Well, it is important to finish lessons on time - think of it from the student perspective! But if all else was OK, this is a skill that usually comes with practice, so not sure if you 'should' have been failed solely for this.

Generally, it's a good idea to plan carefully to finish a bit early rather than on time. Be aware that people usually talk too much, not too little (we as teachers are not immune to this!). Walk through your lesson word-for-word when timing matters and try to pare down your talk as much as possible. When students are producing something (talk or task), try setting time limits "you have three minutes for this" and "it's OK if you're not totally finished, let's look at this together now".

If you take a CELTA again, or any other type of course, I'd tell them openly about this and would genuinely focus on conquering the time limits the next time around.

As for failing someone with an extensive background, that's not uncommon. Simply having done the job doesn't mean one has done it well - there are some job markets in which teachers are in high demand (mostly this occurs in Asia) where the criteria for getting and staying hired aren't necessarily excellence in teaching skills. You just have to be hip and interesting to the students in many cases.

Messages In This Thread

Failing the CELTA
Drew -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.
Martin McMorrow -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.
spiral78 -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!