Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: advanced (post-CELTA) certifications

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.

In Response To: advanced (post-CELTA) certifications (Allison)

I got my CELTA in 2016 and have been teaching English in Korea for the past 12 months. I'm now thinking about some kind of advanced certification. As I have a masters and student loans from it I'm not looking at masters programs, but I'd like an affordable way to add to my knowledge base in teaching. (My masters is not in English or education - it's actually in theology.) My primary teaching interest is in teaching kids (both preschool/kindergarten and elementary). What's a good next step after the CELTA and a year of teaching? I've considered the DELTA but I'm not sold on it as my interest really is in teaching kids.

Neither the CELTA nor the Delta is geared for very young learners. Trinity College London offers a Teaching Young Learners Extension Certificate (TYLEC). However, it's for ages 7-16.

Your interest is rather broad; you don't mention the teaching context/situation, especially since your focus is also on preschoolers. Plus, you don't indicate if you plan to stay and work in Korea while you earn some type of qualification on-line or return home (UK, US, Canada...?) to attend classes on campus.

As a starting point, do Internet searches on the following:

• Montessori certification
• Early childhood education certification
• Early years teacher EYT
• PGCE PGCEi primary teaching

"Affordable" is subjective. You'll have to figure out how to grapple with the costs involved in obtaining proper teaching credentials.

Messages In This Thread

advanced (post-CELTA) certifications
Allison -- Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.
Alex -- Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.
nomad soul -- Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.
Tim -- Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!