Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Teaching English Once a Week in a Prison

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Friday, 18 May 2018, at 10:26 p.m.

In Response To: Teaching English Once a Week in a Prison (andreaa093)

I am tutoring english as a second language in a prison -- once a week to two students. I've been using Dave's ESL Cafe, but does anyone have any other recommendations. This is my first time tutoring. I am really struggling to create a curriculum. I've taught them the alphabet and we're now learning vowels. I've been bringing in passages of novels and poems because I think reading will help their annunciation. Are there any other resources people have found helpful?

You don't mention your qualifications, but it sounds like you're rather new to ESL tutoring/teaching.

There's not enough info about you nor of the learners you tutor. Plus, this is the teacher training forum and isn't ideal for the type of guidance you seem to need (unless you're looking for a training program).

I suggest you contact several nonprofits that offer ESL literacy classes to adults in your city. They should be able to advise you and point you to resources specific to your teaching situation and learning objectives. Your local school district might also have an ESL program for adult learners that could provide support.

In the meantime, Google "Breaking News English," which has real-world content for all learner levels. Also check out the Oxford Picture Dictionary. It was always a hit with my students.

Messages In This Thread

Teaching English Once a Week in a Prison
andreaa093 -- Friday, 18 May 2018, at 7:13 a.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 18 May 2018, at 10:26 p.m.
Tim -- Saturday, 19 May 2018, at 3:29 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!