Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Job Opportunities for Indian TEFL teachers

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.

In Response To: Job Opportunities for Indian TEFL teachers (Aditi Banerjee)

I am from India. I have completed my Master's degree in Marketing from India in 2016. However I have realized that the corporate world is not destination. My love for teaching and travelling have encouraged and motivated me to go ahead with TEFL certification. However there are pros and cons to everything, similarly as I checked I found out that being a Non-native English speaker my options are limited and teaching English in other foreign countries is extremely difficult. This has unfortunately made me think twice about getting the TEFL certification since I am apprehensive about fetching a job outside India as an English teacher. I have had 14 years of convent school training, wherein English was my first language and also my communication skills are at par with a native speaker. Any feedback or comments on this issue and my concerns would be highly appreciated.

Your concerns are valid. For English teaching jobs, nationality is the first requirement for employers and/or immigration officials -- passports from western, English-speaking countries meet that criteria. Academic qualifications are second. As an Indian national with unrelated degrees, your chances for nailing a TEFL position are nil.

That said, there are many private Indian-owned/run international schools and post-secondary institutes throughout Asia and the Gulf that serve Indian expats. Look into your target countries for these types of situations for potential opportunities that capitalize on your background.

Messages In This Thread

Job Opportunities for Indian TEFL teachers
Aditi Banerjee -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.
Stephen -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.
Rufus Paul -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.
AfP -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!