Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Value of a TESOL certififcate

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.

In Response To: Value of a TESOL certififcate (PrecisionESL)

I am wondering whether or not colleges and tutoring agencies in the U.S, but specifically in New York, ever hire ESL teachers who only have a TESOL certificate but not a Masters in ESL? I also have a Masters Degree in English lit. but not ESL, and have 3 years of training tutoring in an college. When I first took the course my teacher assured us that people often think one can't be hired in the U.S. to teach in a college with only a TESOL cert. and that it isn't true, but someone else I know in the ESL field says that this is true. I have seen job listings saying they do accept a TESOL cert. as a minimum requirement, but there seems to be a lot of confusion. So for the "Too Long Don't Read Version", do I stand any chance of being hired to teach ESL in a college or tutoring agency in the New York area with only a TESOL cert. and an M.A. in English but no M.A. in ESL?

Most US university MA TESOL programs include a semester-long teaching practice component and/or grad assistantship opportunities. This is why some job ads indicate an MA TESOL but may not mention a TESOL cert.

Do you stand a chance with only a TESOL cert and MA in English Lit? Who knows. TESOL is a diverse field. For example, teaching community ESL is not the same as teaching academic English. Your best bet is to look at actual job ads for the type of teaching job(s) you're interested in to see if your credentials and experience match the requirements. Read job ads carefully; many positions tend to be adjunct roles. Also consider becoming a member of your local/state TESOL affiliate (NYS TESOL). They're an invaluable resource, especially for newbies.

Messages In This Thread

Value of a TESOL certififcate
PrecisionESL -- Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.
nomad soul -- Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.
Peterson Edward -- Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!