Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Value of a TESOL certififcate

Posted By: PrecisionESL <>
Date: Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.

Hi. I am wondering whether or not colleges and tutoring agencies in the U.S, but specifically in New York, ever hire ESL teachers who only have a TESOL certificate but not a Masters in ESL? I also have a Masters Degree in English lit. but not ESL, and have 3 years of training tutoring in an college. When I first took the course my teacher assured us that people often think one can't be hired in the U.S. to teach in a college with only a TESOL cert. and that it isn't true, but someone else I know in the ESL field says that this is true. I have seen job listings saying they do accept a TESOL cert. as a minimum requirement, but there seems to be a lot of confusion. So for the "Too Long Don't Read Version", do I stand any chance of being hired to teach ESL in a college or tutoring agency in the New York area with only a TESOL cert. and an M.A. in English but no M.A. in ESL? Thanks

Messages In This Thread

Value of a TESOL certififcate
PrecisionESL -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.
Re: Value of a TESOL certififcate
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.
Re: Value of a TESOL certififcate
Peterson Edward -- Wednesday, 19 September 2018, at 1:42 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!