Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Which certification is right for me?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.

In Response To: Which certification is right for me? (Julie)

I realize that ultimately I have to answer that question, but I'm having a difficult time navigating all the programs out there. I am a licensed Spanish teacher with a master's degree in Spanish and 10+ years in teaching. I would like to get a certificate to teach English abroad, but I don't know which one is suitable for someone in my position. I don't need classroom management and how to prepare lessons, etc. Can anyone recommend which path to take? Everyone says CELTA is the best, but do I need that?

It really depends on: 1) what your TEFL career goals are, and 2) where in the world you want to teach.

You may see yourself as a capable EFL teacher based on your current quals. However, prospective employers looking for an experienced candidate to teach English skills are likely to see a CV that has "Spanish" written all over it. That could put you below candidates possessing a recognized cert like CELTA, SIT TESOL, or Trinity CertTESOL. Plus, more holders of TESOL-related master's degrees seem to be flooding the market. That's your competition for the better jobs.

For a wider and larger pool of opinions, I suggest you head to the Cafe's jobs discussion forums per the link I gave in your other thread. Be sure to include your teaching goals (long or short term) and where you expect to teach.

Messages In This Thread

Which certification is right for me?
Julie -- Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.
Stephen -- Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.
nomad soul -- Monday, 17 September 2018, at 3:59 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!