120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: In-Person vs On-Line Training

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Friday, 24 November 2017, at 8:21 p.m.

In Response To: In-Person vs On-Line Training (Rick Derflinger)

I'm in the process of trying to decide whether to take an on-line or in-person TEFL certification. To keep things simple, we'll assume that either course is 120 hours with at least 6 hours of practicum.

I don't have any EFL teaching experience. I do have 20+ years coaching experience.

My goal is to get a Business English job in China.

My question is what is preferred/required by employers? On-Line or In-person?

I see some some ESL providers, WSE for example, that say you must do in-person if you do not have 2 years of ESL experience. What I don't want to do is get an on-line/blended Cert and then be told it's no good.

So, are there limitations to the on-line cert that one will not face if they do in-person cert?

Worldwide, in-person TEFL cert courses -- especially those with a supervised/assessed teaching practice component -- are always preferable and sometimes required. But there are employers who won't care which cert you have. Plus, on-line TEFL courses tend to be suitable for experienced, licensed k12 pubilc school teachers who expect to head abroad to teach math, science, art, and other subjects to nationals in an English-medium learning environment. (BTW, if you have sports-related coaching experience, you might do better in China as a sports coach/trainer.)

If you choose the on-line, TEFL course route, you'd likely be responsible for 1) finding (and paying) an acceptable practicum supervising teacher, and 2) setting up your teaching situation in your city. Plus, if you ever want to switch TEFL jobs, the new employer may require a TEFL cert from an in-person course. So yeah, an in-person course makes more sense.

Your questions are specific to working in China. Before signing up for a TEFL course, I suggest you head to the China jobs discussion forum and ask there via the link below. You'll need to register to post your questions.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=9

Messages In This Thread

In-Person vs On-Line Training
Rick Derflinger -- Friday, 24 November 2017, at 7:05 a.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 24 November 2017, at 8:21 p.m.
Rick Derflinger -- Monday, 27 November 2017, at 11:46 a.m.
Stephen -- Friday, 24 November 2017, at 4:03 p.m.
Rick Derflinger -- Sunday, 26 November 2017, at 12:18 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!