TEFL International - Get The Best TEFL TESOL Course!
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: What is this TENL certification?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Friday, 3 November 2017, at 8:53 p.m.

In Response To: What is this TENL certification? (Andrew N Johnson)

The university I teach at in Fort Wayne, Indiana has a program that bestows a "TENL certificate."

I can't seem to find a good explanation of this certificate's value in the job market. Most employers ask for a TESOL or a TEFL certificate. I have yet to see much on this TENL certificate. It is 18 credit hours, which is around 5k dollars. The plus is that it is in my town, where I have graduated with a Master's in English and have taught college English for over 8 years.

I don't want to expend the resources without knowing if this certificate is recognized by employers--I assume I will be teaching in the United States.

It refers to "Teaching English as a New Language." There's not much difference between TESOL, TEFL, TESL, TEAL (Teaching English as an Additional Language), and TENL. They all have the same goal: teaching the English language.

Never rely solely on titles. Read the IPFW program's overview and course descriptions and you'll see the same type of TESOL and language acquisition content taught in other university cert courses. This one even includes a "TESOL practicum," which is a huge plus.

If you're concerned that the acronym "TENL" will confuse potential employers abroad or in the US, simply spell it out on your resume/CV.

Messages In This Thread

What is this TENL certification?
Andrew N Johnson -- Thursday, 2 November 2017, at 3:23 p.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 3 November 2017, at 8:53 p.m.
Tim -- Friday, 3 November 2017, at 4:32 p.m.
nomad soul -- Sunday, 5 November 2017, at 6:36 p.m.
Tim -- Tuesday, 7 November 2017, at 8:38 p.m.
nomad soul -- Wednesday, 8 November 2017, at 10:03 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!