120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Teaching in Asia without TEFL

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Thursday, 14 September 2017, at 7:18 p.m.

In Response To: Teaching in Asia without TEFL (Guilherme Lima)

I always loved to work as teacher/trainer during my whole life. I worked before as a cooking teacher (I have a bachelor degree in Gastronomy), as a certified Trainer Analyst for Apple over 2 years and I'm current living in Sydney where I just finished a Leadership and Management Diploma.

My time is running out, my visa will end soon and I know that I need to continue my journey. I just left Brazil a year ago and I donít pretend to come back now. I was raised in a bilingual environment since I remember, learned a lot by myself (and in English schools) during adolescence and got fluent by sharing the language with native speakers over the Internet, with friends, at work and abroad.

I have this dream to live in Asia since I was a kid, watching Anime and listening to K-pop songs, wondering if this dream would ever become reality at some point. Obviously, I was never as close to Asia like I am now and I donít want to miss this huge opportunity. It is really my desire to teach English (or anything else really) in Asia and to experience this amazing culture. Living in Australia is unbelievably expensive and still, I managed to save some money to travel and to stay in Asia for a while, but Iím afraid that I canít afford a TEFL certification right now or anything similar.

At the moment, Iím looking for an opportunity to show that I have what it takes to be an excellent teacher, with more than the necessary energy and love for the profession and that Iím ready for the challenge. Thanks in advance for any information and ideas that should be helpful, my heart and ears are all open to accomplish this endeavour.

In addition to employers' requirements, governments have visa/immigration regulations. Unfortunately, English fluency isn't enough. You have several strikes against you: a passport from a non-Anglophone country (your biggest barrier), an unrelated degree, and lack of a TEFL qualification as well as zero experience teaching EFL. Moreover, if you can't afford TEFL training, you likely don't have the money needed to cover your startup costs (e.g., airfare, visa fees, lodging, ground transportation, food, etc.).

See the Cafe's country and region-specific jobs discussion at the link below.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/

Messages In This Thread

Teaching in Asia without TEFL
Guilherme Lima -- Thursday, 14 September 2017, at 1:18 a.m.
nomad soul -- Thursday, 14 September 2017, at 7:18 p.m.
Tim -- Thursday, 14 September 2017, at 5:34 p.m.
Tim -- Friday, 15 September 2017, at 3:09 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!