120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Additional certifications past a M.Ed?

Posted By: Tom <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, 28 July 2017, at 12:10 p.m.

I am currently finishing up a Masters of Education in Special Education, General Curriculum K-12, and obtaining a state teaching license. I will have at least 2 full years of professional classroom teaching experience before leaving the U.S. This includes diagnostic and teaching of language and reading skills to students of varying age groups, backgrounds, disabilities, etc.

My ultimate question here is if additional certifications will be warranted for advancing an ESL teaching career abroad on top of what I already have?

While I initially believed a DELTA would be worthwhile, most of the skills it seems to teach in modules 1 and 2 are things I have already learned. While my realm is not specific to language development, it is still an area of heavy focus with required courses in reading diagnostics and teaching literacy fluency. Additionally, I have also passed state licensing tests specific to teaching methodology, promoting fluency and retention, and diagnostics of language development. My primary job is to find and implement new ways of teaching content to students at a classroom level based on their varying needs, while also incorporating other sources of engagement to promote retention, maintenance, and generalization of skills. This is something the DELTA also seems to have a heavy focus on, “How to teach.”

I could go on and on but I think best way to summarize it is my entire time in special education has been focused on how to teach, by modifying and implementing different pedagogical methodologies. I would just be adapting what I have already learned specifically to teaching ESL. This is why I am confused on what additional certifications/endorsements I should pursue. Is it worth doing an expensive certification for something I already have a good understanding of just for the piece of paper? Or are there other endorsements available past the CELTA/DELTA I’m not aware of that might be more worthwhile?

Sorry for the ramble, been on my mind a while.
Thank you for any and all input.

Messages In This Thread

Additional certifications past a M.Ed?
Tom -- Friday, 28 July 2017, at 12:10 p.m.
Re: Additional certifications past a M.Ed?
GambateBingBangBOOM -- Monday, 31 July 2017, at 5:15 p.m.
Tim -- Monday, 31 July 2017, at 10:58 p.m.
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 1 August 2017, at 3:42 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!