TEFL International - Get The Best TEFL TESOL Course!
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Can you teach ESL in the US with a CELTA?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Saturday, 8 April 2017, at 12:05 p.m.

In Response To: Can you teach ESL in the US with a CELTA? (Caleb Seeton)

I am nearing graduation in the United States with degrees in English and English Secondary Education. I will be taking a CELTA course this summer to be able to teach English abroad. Upon returning to the US, I will be able to teach English literature. But will a CELTA open any opportunities for ESL teaching in American public schools,too? Or do I need to have a master's in ESL or an endorsement from my university, etc.?

No, the CELTA is not recognized for teachiing in US public schools. It's also not an academic qualification nor is it geared to teaching children. Plus, it's highly doubtful your state's department of education and school district will even know what a CELTA, especially since it's British based and not US standardized.

I assume your education degree program includes a teaching practicum given that you're pursuing licensure. I suggest you do your supervised teaching in a bilingual/ELL environment. Also get an ESOL/Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) endorsement BEFORE heading abroad to teach. In fact, a licensed teacher with a state-certified ESOL or CLD endorsement doesn't need a CELTA to teach outside the US.

For more info on teaching in an ESOL situation in US schools, contact your state's dept. of education. In addition, check out actual job ads for k12 English language teaching positions to see what qualifications are required and what the role entails.

Messages In This Thread

Can you teach ESL in the US with a CELTA?
Caleb Seeton -- Friday, 7 April 2017, at 2:37 p.m.
Tim -- Saturday, 8 April 2017, at 4:23 a.m.
Chelsea -- Wednesday, 17 May 2017, at 12:57 p.m.
nomad soul -- Saturday, 8 April 2017, at 12:05 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!