Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada
Oxford Seminars - 100 Course Locations Throughout The US & Canada

120-hour TEFL Course in Madrid, Spain with Job Placement!
Baxter International TEFL School

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: MA TESOL: Worth It For Me?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Sunday, 24 April 2016, at 7:32 p.m.

In Response To: Re: MA TESOL: Worth It For Me? (Mike McLelland)

I should have explained my situation more fully.

I have a bachelor's in journalism and spent time as a journalist, editor, communications and marketing positions.

I am not looking to get rich doing this. I am burned out and looking for something that is personally rewarding to me. I believe teaching English to foreign learners will do that for me.

I expect to enter into 12-month contracts, or potentially six month options if available.

I can get the TEFL certificate and apply for positions. From what I understand I have a reasonable expectation of securing positions at private language schools. I am wondering if, with a MA TESOL, I can more easily get positions in public schools or universities, which would mean higher pay. Over the course of the next 11 years or so I was wondering if someone could give me an opinion of whether those higher paying positions would equate to the cost of the MA, thus having the degree pay for itself.

Thoughts?

Your questions are more related to job opportunities than teacher training at this point because it depends on where you want to go. TEFL isn't one size fits all; employers and country immigration/work permit requirements vary.

Again, I strongly suggest you head over to the Cafe's country-specific jobs discussion forums (specifically the newbie forum) via the link below especially since you don't seem to know which countries fit your interests and needs. You'll get quicker responses on that forum from posters throughout the world, which will give you a better idea of both your training and teaching options.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/

Messages In This Thread

MA TESOL: Worth It For Me?
Mike McLelland -- Wednesday, 20 April 2016, at 7:18 p.m.
Re: MA TESOL: Worth It?
nomad soul -- Friday, 22 April 2016, at 5:21 p.m.
Stephen -- Friday, 22 April 2016, at 12:34 p.m.
Tim -- Friday, 22 April 2016, at 8:29 p.m.
Mike McLelland -- Saturday, 23 April 2016, at 7:25 p.m.
nomad soul -- Sunday, 24 April 2016, at 7:32 p.m.
Stephen -- Sunday, 24 April 2016, at 12:32 p.m.
Tom -- Monday, 30 May 2016, at 5:18 p.m.
Antonio -- Friday, 28 April 2017, at 2:37 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!