Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: advise on CELTA class

Posted By: spiral78
Date: Wednesday, 30 July 2014, at 9:28 a.m.

In Response To: advise on CELTA class (Edward)

"I'm an American with a Bachelor's in English and an MBA moving to France where I'd like to teach ESL. I'd like to get a 4-week CELTA cert am having difficulty validating the quality of the courses that seem to be available. I applied to one in Strasbourg through CactusTEFL. Can you recommend others or is this a good one? Also, given that I don't have a work visa how difficult might it be to get work in France? Are other western european countries easier? Please advise. "

As a US citizen you will have a near-zero chance of getting legal work in France (and most other western European countries) short of marrying a local. The 'old' EU member countries have internal hiring policies that allow them to hire from outside the European Union only for jobs that there are not enough EU member citizens to fill. Given that there are many, many UK and Irish citizens competing for jobs in France, Italy, Spain, Greece, the Netherlands, Portugal, and Belgium, it's impossible for a school to argue that a US citizen with unrelated degrees and an entry-level certification is needed.

You have possibilities on a free-lance basis in Germany (go to Dave's Job Discussion forum, where there are country-specific boards for more info). You can also consider Central/Eastern Europe, where the barriers to entry are lower. Czech Rep, Slovakia, Poland, etc. are possible options, but
1. you need a CELTA or equivalent, simply because 99% of newbies on these job markets have one
2. you won't find a job from abroad; need to be here on the ground to interview in person (there are lots of teachers here, so schools don't have to take chances on someone sight-unseen).
3. you need to carefully consider timing; most contracts are Sept/Oct thru June, so peak hiring season is Sept.

Messages In This Thread

advise on CELTA class
Edward -- Tuesday, 29 July 2014, at 12:48 p.m.
Stephen -- Wednesday, 30 July 2014, at 1:40 p.m.
Tim -- Wednesday, 30 July 2014, at 12:09 p.m.
spiral78 -- Wednesday, 30 July 2014, at 9:28 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT