Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Very case-specific questions...

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Friday, 25 July 2014, at 7:36 p.m.

In Response To: Very case-specific questions... (Annie)

1. I'm Chinese-American and an American citizen, but I'm not sure if some markets would count this against me because I don't "look American"? Especially because I'm considering teaching in South Korea or the UAE. I know that seems ridiculous but I've definitely encountered "confusion" because of my nationality before when abroad...

2. A lot of places are saying a B.A. is fine - but I actually graduated from art school so I have a B.F.A. (Bach. of Fine Arts). However, I feel like I can prove pretty clearly that I am fluent in English when I take the TOEFL/TEFL/whatever (and got a perfect on both verbal sections of the SAT if that counts for anything).

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone can estimate how much these two things will hinder me...

For the best responses, head to the Cafe's Korea jobs discussion forum. You can register and post your questions there (forums.eslcafe.com/korea/).

By the way...

TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language, which refers to teaching English abroad to others whose first language isn't English. A TEFL certificate is an entry-level teaching qualification that confirms the cert holder has received training to become an EFL teacher. TEFL cert courses range in quality from quickie and/or mediocre on-line training at one end up to the standardized, face-to-face training of the well-regarded CELTA/SIT TESOL/Trinity CertTESOL or their equivalent. Some universities also offer (for credit) TEFL certificate programs at the undergrad or graduate level. Anyway, TEFL certificates have been discussed ad nauseam within this forum.

TOEFL is the Test of English as a Foreign Language and is a standardised English language proficiency test for non-native speakers. If English is your mother tongue, there's no reason for you to take the TOEFL or any other English language proficiency test.

As to your other concern, you are American and you hold a bachelor's degree from a US university. Simple as that. That said, in the realm of TEFL, you'll want to refrain from pointing out that you self-identify as Chinese-American; it confuses foreign employers and students and will likely lessen your credibility as a native-speaking EFL teacher. When asked, just say you have Chinese ancestry but are 100% American. And then change the subject.

Messages In This Thread

Very case-specific questions...
Annie -- Friday, 25 July 2014, at 10:25 a.m.
Stephen -- Saturday, 26 July 2014, at 11:55 a.m.
Tim -- Saturday, 26 July 2014, at 4:25 a.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 25 July 2014, at 7:36 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT