Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Cert programs aplenty! ... now what?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Saturday, 19 July 2014, at 5:52 p.m.

In Response To: Cert programs aplenty! ... now what? (Dondi Ratliff)

See, I'm 35, a woman, and a United States native (from Texas in fact). I'm a certified English teacher for grades 8-12 - but I've yet to get hired for my first full-time teaching position, and therefore have no public-school teaching experience. What I do have is experience subbing in the school system, and a couple years' experience teaching at the junior college level (for composition, basically) as an adjunct. Part-time, of course.

I have an MA in English. I've done some ESL courses getting my Master of Arts in Teaching (that got me certified), and I can probably brush up on it and get that certification area added to my initial certification (as it's just an exam to take). That said, would that be enough to use for teaching English abroad? Or would I still need a TEFL/TESOL certification as well?

If I do need one on top of that, what programs should I be looking at? I know that a lot of places expect you to have experience with the practicum of teaching on top of the educational - and I'm not sure which cert programs do that sort of thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming you want to teach in a k-12 public or international school abroad, check out Teach Away and International Schools Review for the types of qualifications employers require.

If, on the other hand, your interest is in teaching EFL to adults, the only 'add-on' you should consider is either a CELTA or SIT TESOL---both of these brand-name, entry-level teaching qualifications include a supervised teaching practicum with real ESOL students. They're offered abroad as well which gives you the option of taking the course in the country where you want to teach. Plus, I believe there are ongoing CELTA courses available in Austin and Houston. Additionally, there are some non-branded, 120-hour TEFL cert courses offered in the US and around the world that mirror the content and practical component of the branded certificates. Anyway, depending on where you want to teach, you'll find some TEFL jobs don't require a teaching qualification. However, if you expect to make yourself marketable to more employers worldwide, go with CELTA or SIT TESOL.

Messages In This Thread

Cert programs aplenty! ... now what?
Dondi Ratliff -- Saturday, 19 July 2014, at 1:27 p.m.
Re: Cert programs aplenty! ... now what?
nomad soul -- Saturday, 19 July 2014, at 5:52 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT