Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: ESL/EFL/TESL/TESOL programs

Posted By: spiral78
Date: Sunday, 29 June 2014, at 1:03 p.m.

In Response To: ESL/EFL/TESL/TESOL programs (Jay Snyder)

"
I already have a Master's degree in English and a Master's degree in Education (Curriculum and Instruction emphasis), and a Bachelor's in English. I have over 12 years experience teaching high school English in Florida and a semester teaching English composition at the college level. I've received information from Oxford Seminars and looked at the Ontesol programs. I do not have a great deal of money for yet another MA degree either. In addition, I have two children to care for as I work on this program.

Any advice on the programs I mentioned or others that would help me secure a good job teaching English overseas? Thank you."

Your current qualifications indicate that you know quite a lot about the English language, which is of course a plus. However, teaching students about their own language, while using their native language, is quite different from teaching English to speakers of other languages in terms of approaches and methods. You do not probably need another MA , but a CELTA or other on-site course which offers a hands-on entry into TEFL would be very useful. The key component of these courses is supervised teaching practice with feedback from experienced and qualified EFL instructors.

My background is similar to yours, but I made the change over to teaching EFL 15+ years ago now. Over the years, I have seen experienced content teachers who are great at EFL - and some who are utter disasters, unable to break away from what works in a content focused, monolingual classroom. The only way to really know how well an experienced content teacher may perform in an EFL classroom is if s/he has taken (and passed) a CELTA or equivalent. Short of requiring demo lessons and/or trial employment periods, both of which can be logistically difficult when dealing with international contexts.

Messages In This Thread

ESL/EFL/TESL/TESOL programs
Jay Snyder -- Saturday, 28 June 2014, at 9:40 a.m.
Tim -- Monday, 30 June 2014, at 4:21 a.m.
nomad soul -- Sunday, 29 June 2014, at 12:01 p.m.
Gab -- Monday, 30 June 2014, at 11:23 a.m.
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 1 July 2014, at 11:10 a.m.
spiral78 -- Sunday, 29 June 2014, at 1:03 p.m.
Jay -- Monday, 30 June 2014, at 7:53 p.m.
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 1 July 2014, at 11:20 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT