Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: I'm looking for an accreditation test to take

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Thursday, 19 June 2014, at 10:23 a.m.

In Response To: I'm looking for an accreditation test to take (Brian Wittman)

I am visiting in Texas with my partner who is a public school teacher certified in Texas and Hawaii, where we live. We are both taking a brief ELL course designed for teachers to pass a test administered by the Texas authorities which allows teachers to add ELL certication to their licenses. I cannot take this test because I am not a licensed teacher.

Question: Does anyone know of a test I can take that, if I pass, will allow me to acquire some measure of acknowledgement for my efforts, and that I might add to my resume?

It's hard to answer your question because your subject line is confusing (i.e., there's no such thing as an accreditation test). Plus, you didn't state your teaching interest, which presumably is one of the following:

a) teaching English or content to children in US, k-12 bilingual ed programs
b) teaching English to foreign children in public or international schools abroad
c) teaching English to adults in language schools either in the US or abroad

If a), then it seems you'd need to get your license in order to test for the ELL endorsement. Check with your state education's licensing department.

If b), in some countries, a degree is often the only qualification needed to teach in international or public schools. The better ESL and content-teaching jobs abroad, however, require licensure. Look at sites like Teach Away and International Schools Review for more info on qualifications.

If c), get a CELTA or SIT TESOL to make your resume/CV stand out. Also, take a look at the ESL Cafe's jobs discussion forums for info on teaching in specific countries if you're interested in heading overseas.

Messages In This Thread

I'm looking for an accreditation test to take
Brian Wittman -- Thursday, 19 June 2014, at 5:04 a.m.
Re: I'm looking for an accreditation test to take
nomad soul -- Thursday, 19 June 2014, at 10:23 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT