Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Do I need additional certifications?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Friday, 30 May 2014, at 4:12 p.m.

In Response To: Do I need additional certifications? (Kali)

I am planning on returing to the United States to complete a Master's in Education with an ESL endorsement. This will allow me the opprotunity to return home and teach as a subject teacher but with additional training in teaching English Language Learners. With that said, I want to continue to travel abroad and teach before truly settling down (my state has a time limit on getting my masters). After completing a Master's and when I go back to teachign abroad, will I still have to get additional certificates or will being a certified teacher with a Masters surpass the 120 hours TESOL certificate?

It depends on what the requirements are for wherever you plan to teach in the future. I assume you're thinking about transitioning into teaching adults. For example, if you're eyeing the Middle East, even with an ESL endorsement, your MA Ed itself may not satisfy employers' criteria of a relevant degree for university teaching positions.

I suggest you start looking at job ads in the countries you're interested in to see what, if any, additional training or credentials you'll likely need in the future.

Messages In This Thread

Do I need additional certifications?
Kali -- Wednesday, 28 May 2014, at 10:50 p.m.
Tim -- Thursday, 29 May 2014, at 1:41 p.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 30 May 2014, at 4:12 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT