Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Help! I Look Asian and Intend to Teach in Kore

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Thursday, 8 May 2014, at 9:09 a.m.

In Response To: Help! I Look Asian and Intend to Teach in Korea (Norell Leung)

I was born and raised in New York City, and lived all my adult life in Colorado. I am qualified as ever but physically I look as Asian as they come. I am Chinese.

I realize that this is of deep disadvantage when getting hired in Korea and yet not impossible. I've got to do the impossible! (It's only South Korea that I want to teach in, in Seoul or up to 75 min outside of it) I've heard of many an Asian native English speaker that teaches there and yet all of my submissions have been unfruitful. (I'm also not sure when my apostille CBC will arrive.. I say July.. so that might be an issue also but I should be real that it's good old fashioned discrimination.

Does anyone have any advice? Any other Asian English teachers out there? Agencies that are connected with international schools or American owned schools that won't disqualify me on my physical appearance?

I suggest you head to the Cafe's Korea jobs discussion forum (forums.eslcafe.com/korea/) to register and post your questions there.

By the way, I have a non-western sounding name and am of mixed ethnicity. Plus, I was born overseas to American parents. In order to not confuse potential employers, I always put at the top of my CV that I'm a native English speaker and American nationality. So although you may self identify as Chinese American or Asian American, for the purposes of TEFL, you're simply an American with a US passport and not Chinese. Keep that in mind when applying and interviewing for positions.

Messages In This Thread

Help! I Look Asian and Intend to Teach in Korea
Norell Leung -- Thursday, 8 May 2014, at 12:20 a.m.
Stephen -- Thursday, 8 May 2014, at 12:54 p.m.
nomad soul -- Thursday, 8 May 2014, at 9:09 a.m.
Tim -- Thursday, 8 May 2014, at 5:58 p.m.
majeh -- Saturday, 10 May 2014, at 2:23 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT