Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Online Tefl

Posted By: Cathy <ccjcf@earthlink.net>
Date: Monday, 17 March 2014, at 7:57 a.m.

In Response To: Online Tefl (Ritchie)

Hi - I took the U of Toronto's online course last year and enjoyed it. I am a certified former
classroom teacher who's been out of the classroom for some time, so I took the course for a review of teaching theories and methodologies. It provides a tremendous amount of knowledge and can be taken at your individual pace.

A word of caution - since it's an online course, with no practice teaching component, it might not be accepted for overseas positions. I also recently took the CELTA, which I loved. I took it because of it's 6-hrs of practice teaching and it is recognized worldwide. Although it costs more, it is absolutely worth it.

If you take the online tefl and apply to Teach Away, who they partner with, you'll be fine in getting a job. If not, your job hunt might be limited to employers who don't require a practicum.

A practicum is extremely important b/c although you can take in any amount of information, if you have no practice delivering lessons to students, then you're subject to having problems of lesson delivery and classroom management.

I hope this answer helps!

Cathy

Messages In This Thread

Online Tefl
Ritchie -- Saturday, 15 March 2014, at 12:58 p.m.
Re: Online Tefl
Cathy -- Monday, 17 March 2014, at 7:57 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT