Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: TESOL certification online?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Sunday, 16 March 2014, at 7:28 p.m.

In Response To: TESOL certification online? (z)

I have a PhD in English Literature from the top research school in Auckland, NZ, and I've got lots of teaching experience at the university level, but I only have a little ESL experience. I'd like to get TESOL certification so I can apply for temporary work overseas or in the states (I'm a US citizen). I wouldn't mind working in China, the UK, etc. So what's my best option? I found an online course that's 120 hours for 250 and another similar course from a different organization for 295. But nothing about these certification programs encourage a sense of commitment -- I'm still sceptical about paying for something that doesn't really get me the credentials I need to apply for jobs that I see online (like at www.jobs.ac.uk).

Any (non biased) advice would really help, and I'm on a limited budget because I'm out of work right now.

Ditto Spiral's comments about focusing on Asia. Whether you're able to get temporary work is another matter; short-term contracts aren't that common. Full-time and even part-time temporary TESL jobs in a university ESL program in the US are near impossible to get. Moreover, your (unrelated) PhD is very likely to turn off employers who would perceive it as overkill for someone newly qualified for an entry-level TESL position. I suggest you take a look at the Cafe's general jobs discussion forum; there are threads about teaching short-term.

As you think about which countries to teach in, keep in mind that students (and employers) expect instructors with "Dr." in front of their name to really know their stuff. Unfortunately, a low-budget, online TEFL cert won't give you the right stuff nor do they scream "credible" or "serious." As Spiral mentioned, a good TEFL cert course should entail 120 hours of on site instruction and include supervised practice teaching with real students. The CELTA, SIT TESOL, Trinity CertTESOL, and even some non-brand TEFL cert courses meet that criteria. And yes, they also cost more than those bargain-basement, online and adventure-focused TEFL cert courses. You say your funds are limited, but that's the reality of landing the better teaching jobs abroad.

Messages In This Thread

TESOL certification online?
z -- Friday, 14 March 2014, at 7:07 p.m.
spiral78 -- Sunday, 16 March 2014, at 3:59 a.m.
nomad soul -- Sunday, 16 March 2014, at 7:28 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT