Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: New experience

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Monday, 3 March 2014, at 3:24 p.m.

In Response To: Re: New experience (abby)

I have no idea of what type of situation I may find myself in. I just started working on some Science lesson plans for 1st graders. I am just looking for any general tips on teaching English, no matter what grade you teach or where or how. I am just looking for tips from people who have already taught English.
One specific question is, is it easier to teach people of who you can speak their native language?

Frankly, it's near impossible to give "tips" on English language teaching; keep in mind that many of us have spent two years taking coursework on second language acquisition for our master's degrees. Plus, teaching children in a k-12/international school setting isn't the same as teaching adults at the university level. (Case in point, I presently teach adults who will be pursuing MAs and PhDs.) In other words, there's no quick answer because your question is too broad. Moreover, it's still unclear what you expect to teach: science or ESL? If your focus is science to children whose first language isn't English, then again, I suggest you look to your university advisors and instructors for guidance because an ESL endorsement addresses your teaching situation. Your state's department of education is another source for info on teaching content to bilingual learners. If it's ESL you want to teach, then try the ESL Cafe's link "Stuff for teachers" at the top of this page; there's a teacher's forum dedicated to teaching ESL. Of course, your university can answer your questions as well.

As for your specific question, the best answer is that you don't need to know the language of those you teach. In fact, teachers with adult ESL learners in the US, UK, Canada, etc., can end up in classrooms where the students represent a dozen or more languages. However, knowing the language challenges of one's students is key.

Messages In This Thread

New experience
abby -- Thursday, 27 February 2014, at 10:12 a.m.
nomad soul -- Thursday, 27 February 2014, at 10:36 p.m.
abby -- Friday, 28 February 2014, at 2:09 p.m.
nomad soul -- Monday, 3 March 2014, at 3:24 p.m.
Tim -- Monday, 3 March 2014, at 10:04 a.m.
Stephen -- Friday, 28 February 2014, at 11:58 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT