Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Good online course to teach online?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Monday, 17 February 2014, at 12:38 p.m.

In Response To: Good online course to teach online? (Maryann)

Hi, I'm hoping someone can offer me advice on which training program would be best for me. I live in the US. I have a college degree and graduate degree, plus years of work experience. I would like to start teaching English and/or business English via the internet to foreigners. The income does not need to be a supportable wage; I'm just interested in doing this work. I am looking for a TEFL/TESOL online course that is good and decently reputable. I researched CELTA, SIT, and Trinity on the internet, but they all seem quite cumbersome and probably overkill for my goals since I don't plan (right now) to teach overseas. But I'd hate to have to redo my training if I did decide later that I wanted to teach overseas. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

As tedious as the CELTA, SIT, & Trinity courses may seem, be aware these branded TEFL certs are reputable, widely-recognized entry-level teaching qualifications that aren't for just teaching English abroad. But in response to your question, no, an online TEFL cert course that's "good" and "decently reputable" doesn't exist if you plan to represent yourself as a good, reputable teacher whether online or in a physical classroom in the US or overseas. That said, a mediocre (AKA online) TEFL course is better than nothing. Just be prepared to upgrade to one of the branded three or an equivalent non-branded cert if you decide to head abroad.

Another option, however, is to do a few months of volunteer teaching a few nights a week at one of your local, non-profit ESL literacy or refugee organizations. There's usually training involved as well as the opportunity to work in tandem with seasoned ESL teachers who can guide you with lesson planning, classroom management, etc. This obviously isn't a substitute for the standard, 120 hours of onsite teacher training, but it does entail classroom teaching with real students. By the way, I was a volunteer teacher at an ESL literacy program for my practicum for my master's degree. I still use some of what I learned from the other teachers in my current teaching situation.

Messages In This Thread

Good online course to teach online?
Maryann -- Saturday, 15 February 2014, at 6:13 p.m.
nomad soul -- Monday, 17 February 2014, at 12:38 p.m.
Martin McMorrow -- Wednesday, 19 February 2014, at 1:35 p.m.
Martin McMorrow -- Thursday, 20 February 2014, at 2:53 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT