Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Experience to teach in China?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Thursday, 9 January 2014, at 11:05 a.m.

In Response To: Experience to teach in China? (Dan)

I have been taking steps towards teaching in China for some time now. I had made job applications in October/November, and was accepted by both Wall Street and EF after interviews. Great! I accepted the Wall Street position.

I got an email on New Year's eve which basically said that they couldn't get me a Z-visa, because I didn't have 2+ years of teaching experience. This naturally came as a HUGE surprise to me, and a disappointment.

I am 29 years old, with a degree in English and History, and with a year's experience of working in schools. I had been transparent and honest about my experience, and the duration of it, from the beginning. I obtained a TEFL certificate from an online course, on the (naive?) assumption that it was almost a token gesture, to show professionalism and keenness. With my background and knowledge, it was fine, easy.

Due to this issue, I'd now like to find work in China, specifically Shenzhen which is where I want to live, to start ASAP. Now, I'm not really sure what to do. From looking at new job adverts, it seems that 2 years+ teaching experience is now a 'must'?

I wonder if anyone has any insight into whether the visa situation has changed? Are there new and more extensive requirements? Is it going to be possible for me to find work at this time?

Since your questions are job related, I suggest you head over to the Cafe's China jobs discussion forum (forums.eslcafe.com/job) for responses from teachers currently working in China.

Messages In This Thread

Experience to teach in China?
Dan -- Wednesday, 8 January 2014, at 6:26 a.m.
Tim -- Wednesday, 8 January 2014, at 11:34 a.m.
Katrina Bourke -- Wednesday, 8 January 2014, at 11:30 a.m.
Dan -- Wednesday, 8 January 2014, at 11:58 p.m.
nomad soul -- Thursday, 9 January 2014, at 11:05 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT