Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Is it right for me? CELTA and TEFL in general

Posted By: Tim
Date: Wednesday, 8 January 2014, at 11:52 a.m.

In Response To: Is it right for me? CELTA and TEFL in general (Alex)

We all have ‘naughty words’ problems here sometimes. Usually it is a word like ‘expensive’, but it takes trial and error to find...

Regarding CELTA Grammar, See Carl’s post started on 18th December on this forum.

CELTA is very intensive, but not grammar intensive; they know most native speakers have to learn the stuff the night before they teach it. The course is about teaching, not about ‘what you know’. Si yes, they train you how to create lessons.

Most CELTAs run over four weeks. Some run over longer to spread out the load. It IS VERY intensive, DO NOT plan to have any form of social life or job or hobby during the month. If you are prepared for that, and you are able to manage time then you will be fine and will have present surprises when you sometimes realise that, ‘Oh, I’m free this afternoon, to sleep or visit a shop...’. Why so intensive? Most people dolt want to commit to longer periods f time of learning a small course’.

How much Grammar you need to teach and use depends entirely on which country you are in, what types of students you have, their ages and the goals of the class. An ‘English class’ could contain just conversation, it could be business presentations, it could be listening skill, it could be fun with English’ for Kindergarten, it could be a grammar lesson, it could be almost anything....you teach the level of grammar according to the goals of the class you have, which will usually be determined way above you. For children that is little, but as said before, CELTA is not Grammar-focused, it is teaching-focused.
Having said that, most experienced teachers rarely teach explicit grammar, it is done surreptitiously, embedded in other activities; but that may come up on the CELTA.

You may wish to also consider the CELTA Young Learners Extension Module, that some CELTA centres offer.

Alternative TEFL courses? How many hours total and how many lessons to you get observed while teaching? If they are similar numbers to the CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL, then they are comparable. If they are not, then they are not. Is it in fact a Cert run by the university and with a certificate issued by them, or is it some ‘Jumping Beans Happy ESL School’ who hire the Uni’s rooms and venue for their course.

Messages In This Thread

Is it right for me? CELTA and TEFL in general
Alex -- Tuesday, 7 January 2014, at 11:32 p.m.
Carl Taylor -- Wednesday, 8 January 2014, at 3:17 p.m.
Tim -- Wednesday, 8 January 2014, at 11:52 a.m.
Katrina Bourke -- Wednesday, 8 January 2014, at 11:35 a.m.
Alex -- Friday, 10 January 2014, at 10:45 a.m.
Tim -- Sunday, 12 January 2014, at 10:27 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT