Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

No qualifications - But 28 years experience..

Posted By: Sheik Yerbouti <asdfa1@asdf.com>
Date: Friday, 3 January 2014, at 4:50 p.m.

Hi!
Here's one for ya..
I got into teaching English in a foreign country totally through the back door. It all started when I found myself working for a language school in a major European city. They'd just landed a massive 2-year training contract with a company of over 800 staff and were basically willing to take on anyone with a British or American passport.
I was just 22 and madly in love with a girl over there. I was soon to be 23 and a father and I needed work. Her mother saw an advert in the local paper and so I went down for the interview in a borrowed suit and tie and carrying an empty briefcase.
I told them exactly my circumstances and that I had a some decent A-levels and Voila! I was offered an hourly-paid teaching job! To be fair to them, they gave me a pretty decent one-month course in direct method before being thrown to the lions.
Boy! I loved it! After two years the school actually offered me a full-time teaching job and I was pretty much Mr Star Teacher. Then one of the companies that I was teaching at offered me a job as their in-house, staff training manager. For the next 5 years I travelled all over Europe working for them doing week-long intensive seminars on all kinds of business-related topics.
Sadly, however, my marriage broke up when she moved away and took the kid.
But then I was offered a new job in a new country working for another language training operation with schools all over Europe. I got it through a contact I'd made back when I was a rookie.
So, after 8 months' planning, I moved to another European capital. That was over 20 years ago and I've been here ever since.
Since 1995, I have been self-employed. I've never had to advertise and I have plenty of work travelling round the city's major ring-road in my nice car, giving in-house lessons to people in just about as many different areas of business as there are. I was even asked to teach at the university - which I turned down.. Bit too close to the sun that one.
All that on my past record and experience. No-one has ever asked me what my qualifications are. But I certainly don't feel like a fraud. I'm a damn great teacher and I know EGIU inside out. I even know the mistakes in it.

Well, I've since remarried and now have two almost grown-up kids of 15 and 17. And this is now bringing me to my point..
When they finally fly the coup I'd like to volunteer to do some truly valuable teaching in Africa or Asia whilst I still have my health and passion. I'm not after the money. I honestly think I have something to offer and share. Maybe for 3 or 4 years - who knows.
Whaddya think? Should I apply for something purely on my experience or should I get a qualification? I haven't got time for a degree, but how about a CELTA or Trinity?
Would they even accept me? Are there any British Council recognised online courses available? I can't go back to England for any length of time.

OK. Thoughts please! Thanks and HNY!

Messages In This Thread

No qualifications - But 28 years experience..
Sheik Yerbouti -- Friday, 3 January 2014, at 4:50 p.m.
Re: No qualifications - But 28 years experience..
Tim -- Saturday, 4 January 2014, at 1:00 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT