TEFL International - Get The Best TEFL TESOL Course!
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: To MA in TESOL or not...

Posted By: GambateBingBangBOOM
Date: Sunday, 15 December 2013, at 12:25 a.m.

In Response To: To MA in TESOL or not... (Jeremy)

The quote about not caring whether your degree is in language teaching or not does not apply to most positions that require a masters degree in higher paying countries.

The most common use of a masters degree in TESOL/ Applied Linguistics is to teach English as a Second / Foreign Language in a university or college either in an English speaking country, or not. It is also a prerequisite for a PhD in language teaching (Applied Linguistics)- the main purpose of which is to become an academic, so to do research and to teach people doing a masters degree in language teaching. You could also luck out if there are government programs (with good jobs) to teach immigrants in the state / area.

The main purpose of a k-12 teaching qualification is to teach in a k-12 school. You can teach ESL in a k-12 school, and it is often a high needs area- but there may not be any money put into it even in areas where it is highly needed.

So you really need to decide what it is you want to teach. This is a really common question.

Do you want to teach kids in the k-12 system? If so, you need that k-12 qualification, and you should look into becoming qualified in an area that is both mandated by the state curriculum AND in high need, if possible. Maybe think of ESL as an add-on unless ESL is / can be a full-time job in your state.

If you decide what you really want to do is teach English language at the university level (and really this mostly means students entering their undergraduate degree) then you will need an MA in TESOL / Applied Linguistics, but you won't need the teaching qualification. If you can do both, then that would be very useful (you cannot do both where I'm from).

It's normal for people to need at least a couple of years of experience teaching English language before being accepted into a masters program in language teaching. It's also normal to need at least three different "experiences" in teaching in order to apply for teacher's college. So either way, teaching overseas at a language school (those are the main employers that hire people with non-related degrees) or maybe as an Assistant Language Teacher somewhere in Asia could help you decide what it is you want to do (really just which area of education to concentrate on- or if education really just isn't for you) and help you get into an academic program that will get you there.

Messages In This Thread

To MA in TESOL or not...
Jeremy -- Thursday, 12 December 2013, at 11:07 a.m.
Re: To MA in TESOL or not...
GambateBingBangBOOM -- Sunday, 15 December 2013, at 12:25 a.m.
Re: To MA in TESOL or not...
Tim -- Monday, 16 December 2013, at 1:31 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!