Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Can an MA TESOL teach lit. at a U abroad?

Posted By: Sojourner
Date: Friday, 13 December 2013, at 8:10 p.m.

In Response To: Can an MA TESOL teach lit. at a U abroad? (Jeremy)

Hi Jeremy,

Where, exactly, do you want to teach ?

For the past 11 yers, I have been teaching in the college/uni sector in China.Most of the teaching jobs for foreign teachers ( FTs) usually involve the teaching of Oral English. A good thing about the college/uni sector in China is that FTs, generally speaking, are given considerable freedom in how/what they teach.Some FTs might want to focus on grammar/pronunciation; but, be aware that it is usually the Chinese teachers (CTs) who teach English grammar. Many FTs , in their Oral English classes might have discussions/debates on current affairs issues, pop culture, media, etc, where one could focus on intonation, appropriate language, delivery,pace, etc - however, one should not bring in certain "controversial" topics !

I'm very fortunate that in my 11 years in China most of my tme has not involved the teaching of Oral English.Becase I have Masters degrees in Political Science, Economic History - and Applied Linguistics - I have been asked to teach interesting subjects such as Intercultural Communication, English-Speaking Societies, Business English , and Newspaper-Magazine Reading.I have even taught Management and Marketing !

So, with your MA TESOL there is a very good chance that if you apply for an Oral English job in a Chinese uni you will also be be asked to teach Intercultural Communication. Occasionally I have seen jobs advertised in which a college wants a FT who can teach English Lit. - but, usually, those jobs are done by a CT ( Anyway, if you decide to apply for an oral English job,in your covering letter you might want to mention that you would be willing to teach other subjects such as English-Speaking Societies, Intercultural Communication - and, of course, English Lit. !).

It would be far more common for you to be asked to teach , say, English-Speaking Societies, than English Lit.However, in the former, you might want to introduce your students to the ideas of those British and American writers that the English Lit. CTs are not covering.As I've mentioned earlier, FTs are often given considerable freedom in how/what they teach !

Good luck !

Peter

Messages In This Thread

Can an MA TESOL teach lit. at a U abroad?
Jeremy -- Thursday, 12 December 2013, at 11:03 a.m.
Sojourner -- Friday, 13 December 2013, at 8:10 p.m.
nomad soul -- Sunday, 15 December 2013, at 1:41 a.m.
Ani DAmbrosio -- Wednesday, 21 May 2014, at 6:32 a.m.
Dena -- Tuesday, 27 May 2014, at 6:17 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT