Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: Preparing for teaching ESL (Russia)

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Saturday, 23 November 2013, at 7:13 p.m.

In Response To: Preparing for teaching ESL (Russia) (Samuel K)

Hello. I'm finishing up my senior year of college in May and have every intention of going to Russia in fall to teach English. I've been preparing for the Russian aspect with what will amount to two years of classes and feel confident in that area.

However, where I would love some help is if you could help me by giving me some ideas about what I should start learning now so I can be a better teacher when I get there.

Things like grammar rules? Perfective vs. Imperfective? English case system? Is spelling of tricky words important to know?

You see what I'm saying. I just would like to get a general idea of what I can start studying now so I can be a better teacher when I get there. I'll be taking a CELTA course in the summer after I graduate but I would like to start studying now to learn as much as I can.

If you do an Internet search on 'preparing for celta', you'll find plenty of sites where similar questions have been addressed. Otherwise, know that the CELTA course you'll take in the summer will be enough to prepare you for an entry-level TEFL job.

But if you're antsy to get a taste of teaching now, consider volunteering as a teaching assistant at one of your local, non-profit refugee/ESL literacy organizations. Look for a situation where you'd be under the guidance of teachers who have relevant academic credentials plus years of classroom experience. Additionally, depending on your location, definitely think about attending IATEFL's (UK) or TESOL International's (US) annual conferences in early spring 2014. Ditto for any events happening with your local TESOL affiliate (if you're in the States).

Messages In This Thread

Preparing for teaching ESL (Russia)
Samuel K -- Friday, 22 November 2013, at 6:57 a.m.
Stephen -- Saturday, 23 November 2013, at 7:47 a.m.
nomad soul -- Saturday, 23 November 2013, at 7:13 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT