Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: I need some advice...

Posted By: spiral78
Date: Monday, 7 October 2013, at 5:07 p.m.

In Response To: I need some advice... (SilverPyramid)

"Also I am solo parenting a four-year old daughter, whom I would love to give a global education. Would you recommend this type of work and the challenges associated with it to someone like me? Are there positions for someone with my credentials in Europe on the University level? What about training international corporate executives in the public speaking arena, non-native speakers to speak publicly? Do those jobs even exist and if so, where do you look?"

I think this is unrealistic in Europe. University positions are fairly rare, and usually go to teachers with local language skills, reputation, and contacts. Think how a university in the States would react to, say, a Russian MA theater holder who doesn't speak English.....

Business English (international executives & etc.) is a more viable option in terms of getting a job, but this isn't a university gig and the private language schools that might be interested are by no means going to pay well enough for you to support and educate a child. Further, there are numerous MA TEFL/TESL and Applied Linguistics holders around who teach executives. Your MA theater won't stand out on the CV pile for these gigs. Lots of competition here.

The job market in Europe is extremely competitive overall, with many-many MA level UK citizens around who do not need special work visas; employers are highly unlikely to jump through the considerable legal hoops to hire someone who needs a special visa when there is competition from numerous teachers who don't.

AS a US citizen, with a child in tow, consider Asia, probably.

Messages In This Thread

I need some advice...
SilverPyramid -- Saturday, 5 October 2013, at 9:42 p.m.
nomad soul -- Monday, 7 October 2013, at 8:31 a.m.
Tim -- Monday, 7 October 2013, at 9:37 p.m.
spiral78 -- Monday, 7 October 2013, at 5:07 p.m.
Diane -- Thursday, 17 October 2013, at 10:02 a.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT