Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: certification

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2013, at 12:53 p.m.

In Response To: certification (MC)

I have a B Ed, major in English, minor in Math, with a large number of credits in Linguistics and Languages. Would I still need TEFL/TESOL or equivalent certification? And if so, do you know of a possibility of me challenging some of the curriculum, such as grammar?

Depending on where you expect to teach, a teaching qualification (AKA TEFL cert) may not be required. However, this isn't ideal because it limits you to a smaller pool of countries.

But in a nutshell, the focus of the better TEFL cert courses is on teaching (including supervised practice teaching with real students) and not on curriculum (as content) nor the rules of grammar. In fact, I know quite a few teachers who not only hold a grad degree in applied linguistics but a CELTA or other equivalent teaching qualification as well. Anyway, it comes down to where you want to teach and your career goals.

Messages In This Thread

certification
MC -- Monday, 23 September 2013, at 1:46 p.m.
spiral78 -- Wednesday, 25 September 2013, at 5:22 a.m.
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 24 September 2013, at 12:53 p.m.
Tim -- Tuesday, 24 September 2013, at 12:28 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT