Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: CELTA + MA - extraneous?

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2013, at 5:56 a.m.

In Response To: Re: CELTA + MA - extraneous? (Tim)

I've just finished teaching in Japan for four semesters with Westgate. I'm thinking it's time to try to move to the next level, maybe working directly for a university. It looks like most institutions require a minimum of a master's degree in TESOL or applied linguistics. Until now I've been planning to take the CELTA this year, but now I think I'll try to start a master's program next fall. My questions is, should I go ahead and get the CELTA in the meantime, or is it kind of extraneous to do both? In other words, if I end up getting the MA, does it make doing the CELTA kind of pointless?

I'd appreciate getting some perspective on this. Thanks!

From Tim:
"Or better yet, do a DELTA or Trinity DipTESOL and use that as part credit towards an MA TESOL. Many MA TSOL programmes allow that (the DELTA and Trinity websites have partial lists, but other universities may allow credit if you ask)."

To the OP (Casey):
Transferring Delta or Trinity DipTESOL credits won't be feasible if you're expecting to get your graduate degree in the US. Anyway, the addition of a CELTA is typical for teachers with an MA in Applied Linguistics because the field generally doesn't include a practical component. However, that's not always the case for those with an MA in TESOL, which, depending on the program, can be either theoretical or practical. Employers don't generally require a TEFL cert for those with a specialty in TEFL/TESL, but that's not written in stone. Of course, you can do what I did: Look for an MA program that offers an ESOL practicum. Dilemma solved.

Messages In This Thread

CELTA + MA - extraneous?
Casey -- Sunday, 25 August 2013, at 7:25 a.m.
Tim -- Sunday, 25 August 2013, at 1:09 p.m.
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 27 August 2013, at 5:56 a.m.
Casey -- Thursday, 29 August 2013, at 2:11 p.m.
nomad soul -- Friday, 30 August 2013, at 12:06 p.m.
Stephen -- Sunday, 25 August 2013, at 12:30 p.m.
Tim -- Sunday, 1 September 2013, at 4:10 a.m.
Tim -- Sunday, 1 September 2013, at 4:03 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

OxfordTEFL
SIT