Internationally Recognized Online TESOL / TEFL Certificate & Diploma Courses
ONTESOL

You want MORE! TEFL International is the best choice!
More locations: Now over THIRTY. More choices: special programs, volunteer positions, language classes. More security: Members of BBB, all courses externally moderated. More Accurate Info: No hand-picked testimonials, all course feedback availble online. More Support: worldwide lifetime placement assistance. More Experience-running worldwide courses for 10+ years. More FUN! ...... TEFL International

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum

Re: necessary certification

Posted By: nomad soul
Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2013, at 2:45 a.m.

In Response To: necessary certification (Brenna)

I have a university degree in cultural studies and I plan to teach overseas in 2014. I have just started a job at a language school in my home city Vancouver, Canada, but I am currently a teaching assistant because I am not yet TESOL/TEFL certified. My employer doesn't seem vey concerned with where or how I get my certification as long as I get one, before I can really start "teaching". I do not plan to teach ESL as a long term career, only for 1-2 years as a way to live abroad so I am not interested in doing the 250+ hour diplomas. That being said, if I chose a 100+ hour course, does it really matter if it is accredited, or do schools overseas just want to see that I have a certificate in addition to a BA and experience? Also, since I already have a job in the field, it seems that I could do an online program because I will have class room experience waiting for me. Does this sound like a reasonable assumption?

It's not realistic to lump all overseas schools together in terms of qualifications. Therefore, the quality of TEFL certificate, if one is required, depends on the employer and/or where you intend to teach (or live abroad, as you put it). I suggest you look at job ads in the countries you're interested in to get a sense of what the majority of employers expect to see in an applicant. Alternately, head over to the ESL Cafe's country-specific job discussion forums for useful info about working overseas.

Messages In This Thread

necessary certification
Brenna -- Friday, 9 August 2013, at 10:39 p.m.
Stephen -- Sunday, 11 August 2013, at 12:41 p.m.
Tim -- Sunday, 11 August 2013, at 11:15 a.m.
nomad soul -- Tuesday, 13 August 2013, at 2:45 a.m.
spiral78 -- Wednesday, 14 August 2013, at 9:54 a.m.
bryan -- Friday, 30 August 2013, at 12:23 p.m.

View Thread | Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

Dave's ESL Cafe's Teacher Training Forum is maintained by Administrator with WebBBS 4.33.

Dave's ESL Cafe is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Banner Advertising | Bookstore / Alta Books | FAQs | Articles | Interview with Dave
Copyright © 1995-2010 Dave's ESL Cafe | All Rights Reserved | Contact Dave's ESL Cafe | Site Map

Teach English in South America!
SIT